Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Files are being deleted and Yes I read the thread

Explorer | Level 4

LOTS and LOTS of files are being deleted and I don't know why. And I NEED to figure this out because dropbox is essential to me and keeping my life organized. 

To get some things out of the way here...

- I am the ONLY one who has access to my dropbox and devices that are linked to it.

- I DID NOT delete ALL THESE FILES (see attached screenshot) that are now suddenly showing up in my cache as deleted.

- I DO have have a samsung phone but I do not use the samsung doc sync feature mentioned as far as I know. If I access dropbox from my phone it is directly through the official app.

- I DO have some 3rd party apps connected to it such as Genius Scanner app and I believe a few others which I will have to go over but they only UPLOAD to my awareness and do not move or delete files. I will look at it more closely later when I get home again.

Meanwhile how do I recover the files that were deleted and show are currently in cache and how do I retrieve previously deleted docs that may be beyond what I can see visibly. Because I was noticing docs missing the other day as well and they are not in my current cache list. 

Thank you so much so anyone willing to help me tackle this <3

Warmly, vibrantly and authentically (tho somewhat stressed out right now)

- Vanessa :D

8 Replies

Re: Files are being deleted and Yes I read the thread

Dropboxer
Hey there @VanessaK87,

As a first step I’d recommend checking your Deleted files page from the website, if you haven’t done so already. From here you’ll be able to see all your deleted files and also restore them from here, providing that they were deleted within your version history window.

Also, you can check your Events page here which will give you some more insight into the issue by letting you know the actions that happened within your account and when. You can also restore the files within a certain event in bulk rather than selecting them all individually too which may help.

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Explorer | Level 4

Hello Daphne slightly smiling face

Thank you! I'm looking at these right now.

Some more pieces here and what I'm noticing:

- It looks like most of the deletions happened yesterday morning!

2.JPG

- I DID rename a few folders and move some around yesterday but not to the degree its showing. 

I see a ton of folders and files which I DID NOT touch! as having been deleted but I was working no where near them. So I am sincerely bewildered.

Meanwhile

- I don't see a way to restore in bulk like you mentioned? but i'm still looking and not giving up.

- And oddly enough: clicking on the restore from trash option... it's showing me the following screen (see photo below) in which its not listing any deletions at all! What am I doing wrong here? :/

3.JPG

Side notes (yet maybe relevant):

1 - Deleted files and folders that are showing up as "not found" in dropbox when I'm accessing it from my desktop: are showing up perfectly fine when accessing them from my phones dropbox app. Curious as to why the two platforms are showing up so inconsistently.

2 - It looks like whenever I move or rename a folder: drop box see's it as me having "deleted" it and re "created" it. Which is fine but makes it hard to distinguish between which files actually need restoring vs which were just moved and or renamed.

3 - I am also noticing one of the folders that I renamed yesterday duplicated instead. The original folder still exists but is mostly empty and the new one also exists but appears to be missing files that neither folder have.

4 - This is reminding me that I was experiencing something weird last week: when  from my phone; i added some links and files and it was appearing to duplicate them. Fictional Example: I added "Article link about baby elephants.html" and then another one would pop up as "Article link about baby elephants(1).html" or some such. So I was deleting the duplicate. 

... Just things that maybe dropbox should be aware of.

I use a fully updated Samsung 9 btw just in case this helps.

Thanks!

~ Vanessa 

Super User II

Hey @VanessaK87 

Going to just work down your list

1) Have you waited for the desktop app to finish syncing and go back to green tick/no spinning disc icon? That can take a LONG time

2) Unfortuantely this is the case (they are working on altering this I believe), but that said you are actually deleting and adding files (deleting from old location and adding to the new one). Even doing it in your OS as a move is doing that - the system just 'hides' it for you.

3) My guess is this relates to 1 - you need to wait for Dropbox to finish the sync. If you have shut down/cancelled etc. in the middle it may have caused issues.

4) If you are using Samsung to do that then you need to speak to them about it (there software has ALWAYS been beyond buggy, and well, poor in its implementation for Dropbox). Use Dropbox's official app instead to make things easier.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Mark, thanks but if you read my first message: I talk about the fact that I am NOT using samsung sync as was mentioned in another thread. I AM only using dropbox's official app.

And thanks for replying to the list of side notes but those were the side notes and not the main issues I wrote here about.

The main issues are mentioned above them and are not numbered.

Would love and appreciate any input you have on those ones? Thanks for trying in any case.

Warmly

~ Vanessa

Super User II

You may not be using Samsung Connect, but, make sure it isnt connected AT ALL to Dropbox - seriously, its a horrific bit of kit!

Another question.... do you happen to use external drives or symlinks at all on your computers? Or is Dropbox installed on any networked drives?

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

Hi again slightly smiling face,

Thanks for brainstorming.

I do not have drop box backing up or syncing to any external hardrive or symlink. 

And I'll tripple check re samsung but I truly don't think it's connected in any way.

I think you might be right tho about it being a glitch somehow with my desktop not fully syncing before I have to close my computer. 

My dropbox icon on my desktop is almost always in a continual state of the blue sync. I'm realizing I should be concerned about this?

already... I've had my computer on for over 6 hours today as I've been working on admin stuff and it's still in the blue sync phase.  

Explorer | Level 4

!!! slightly smiling face Mark! Looks like you were right about it being a sync issue! 

THANK YOU! :D

= I left my laptop on ALL DAY yesterday and it finally finished syncing and it looks like it solved the issue for the most part!

The majority of files that were showing as deleted and "not found" are now back! And searchable.

I still can't find a few docs (the same ones I noticed that I couldn't find a few weeks ago) but everything else seems here so i'm content. #ILoveDropbox 

It's still confusing as to why files and folders that I didn't work near were showing the issue too but they are back now and thats all that matters! :D

Thank you everyone for your help and for brainstorming on this! I really really appreciate it!

Warmly, Vibrantly, Authentically; Vanessa! <3

~ Vanessa slightly smiling face

Highlighted

Super User II

WOOOHOOO!!

Pleased its all fixed.

I think people sometimes forget, me included to be honest, that when you do big changes to folder structures that change needs time to replicate - first to the Dropbox cloud and then back down to other devices and systems.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Files are being deleted and Yes I read the thread
8 Replies
4 Likes