Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: Files reverted back to older version!

Helpful | Level 6

Interesting! How do you unlink the computer from Dropbox without uninstalling Dropbox? Thank you.

Beat

Explorer | Level 4

This problem hasn't been happening on my computer quite as frequenly as it was before. 

However I think a previous comment in this thread is pertinent -- these are real bugs, and Dropbox staff on not ENGAGING with users at any meaningful and deep level to resolve them - even with very sophiosticated users who could work with developers. Indeed they are insulting users.  I my instance I was asked repeatedly by some paper pusher to "send a screenshot" of what was happening (presumably part of their blocking flowsheet). There were numerous other ways I could have assisted -- but no, the screenshot was of vital importance. When I asked exactly how I was to arrange a screenshot of a file being deleted, the conversation was shut down. Not good.

Dropboxer

Hey @Andrew555, I can see that as you had an open discussion with Walter here back in December. Can you clarify if the behavior you’re describing under this thread is the same or a different one? 

When it comes to your inquiry @BeatMueller, you should be able to unlink your account following the steps outlined here

Thanks to both for checking in on our Community!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi @Jane 

I am experiencing the same issue. A file that I was working on recently has just been reverted back to a February version - and I am unable to recover version history.

Can you suggest a solution here?

Thanks

More information

Dropboxer
Hey @Ashiyana, are you facing a similar issue to what the OP has been describing us perchance? If your file is residing in a shared folder, I’m wondering whether another member restored it back to an earlier version. Would you mind checking whether this has happened? 

From there, it would be worth noting that you could undo this edit by re-visiting the Version History (tip: it’s on the on the 💬 of the file in question), where you’ll see all previous versions & choose the one you’d like to keep. 

Please let me know how you get on with my advice or if I’ve misunderstood your question in any way & I’ll do my best to check back with you soon. Thanks! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Thanks for your reply @Jane

That´s exacrly the issue - we have a file in a shared folder synced to multiple laptops and nobody in the team reverted it to an earlier version.

Trying to access the earlier versions gives me this error: An error occurred while loading.

If you need more details I can contact you privately? 

Thank you again

Dropboxer

🤔 Hmmm… That’s interesting! If it’s not too much trouble for you @Ashiyana, I’d like to have a closer look on the info I have on file on my tools for what you’re describing us here, so I’ve now made sure to create a ticket on our system on my end. 

Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you soon. Thanks again & I’ll be awaiting your next reply! 

Jane

Explorer | Level 3

Exactly what was happening to me and when I went in to into version history to revoke the update there were no previous files. I have stopped using drop box. I experienced this issue ages ago and only now that other are experiencing is someone form dropbox taking notice.

There is clearly a glitch, I just can't trust it anymore. 

Dropboxer
Hey @DolphinSums1, sorry to hear you’re feeling this way; I’m here to explain this behavior & restore your trust in Dropbox as much as I can on my end. 

While I haven’t followed this discussion from the start, I can now see that you had initially posted us back in December regarding this matter, however it’s not clear whether you were using our desktop app when editing these files or you were doing so through our website/your phone

If I had a shot in the dark, I’d say that your files hadn’t synced to our servers in the first place thus your edits couldn’t be retrieved through the version history. 

I hope that this helps clarify matters to a certain extent & please let me know if you have more questions about any of the above. Thanks!

Jane

Explorer | Level 3

I can see that Jane is working to find solutions here ... but these are not solutions.  This has happened, and is happening.... version history disappeared (for me) from a file that had many, many versions over years of time, and was modified monthly.  AND worse, the file reverted to a 6 month old version.  It was very easy for me to ‘document’ that, although there is no way of sharing screen shots of before and after! 

It is a real problem, although very rare, but folks at DB need to focus on this problem, not finding ways users have done this to themselves.  I have also lost trust in the platform.  Good luck DB people, you will start losing us to Google and Microsoft I’m sad to say unless someone finds this needle in a hay stack and owns it!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Files reverted back to older version!
21 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post