cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Files stuck "downloading", PC not syncing, CPU overloading!

Files stuck "downloading", PC not syncing, CPU overloading!

Karl H.4
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

A couple of days ago I noticed that my Dropbox sync was "downloading 11 files" for a long time. I could not figure out which files (because there's apparently no direct way to do so) but I went looking for blue or red sync icons.  I couldn't really find anything because the icons would not all appear; windows explorer kept hanging while displaying the icons.

Today I noticed that nothing was syncing from this computer, and it was still stuck on "downloading 11 files". Exasperated, I removed a large mixed-state folder from local sync that I suspected was the problem.  I ended up with "downloading 20 files" and still nothing syncing properly.  (The folder I removed is still there, although Dropbox was very busy just after I removed it from local sync.)

There's now a huge drag on my system as Dropbox monopolizes my CPU. I can't even see the sync icons any more because Windows Explorer hangs indefinitely if I go to any icon view.  I've had to turn off Dropbox just to use my PC.

I have: restarted Dropbox.  Updated Dropbox to 91.4.548.  Restarted my PC.  I am on Windows 10.  Thanks for any help!

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Karl H.4
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
In case someone in the future is having this problem: the Dropbox team helped me pinpoint the cause. Yahoo Groups recently offered to send a zip file of files from Groups that they were closing down, and I had unzipped this on my PC. However, these files had names ending with spaces, and once those get onto your system, Windows can't delete/move/rename them. Once I deleted them with a shell command, Dropbox stopped trying to sync them.

View solution in original post

15 Replies 15

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Karl H.4, I hope you're well today!

It seems that the app is trying to sync the files due to the high CPU usage, but is unable to process this. Can you try the following to see if this does the trick:

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Account" tab.
  5. While holding the Space bar key, click "Fix Permissions".

If this doesn't resolve the issue, please follow the steps again and instead click "Fix Hardlinks". 

You'll get a little prompt when the action has been completed, and the app might need a short time just to apply the change and continue syncing so please allow a short period of time to see if there is progress in the sync status.

Let me know how it goes!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Karl H.4
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Hi Daphne,

When I got to my other PC later, I was feeling optimistic because all of my file changes had synced.  However, this morning I am "uploading 22 files, downloading 33 files" and Dropbox is still grinding the CPU.  I'm relieved that it's at least syncing again, but something's still wrong.  thanks!

Karl H.4
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Another thing -- I downloaded a file on my other PC last night.  I could see it on this PC this morning, but when I tried to open it, I got a pop-up in the lower right saying something about "Smart Sync download."  The notification briefly showed that I was downloading 34 files instead of 33, and then it finished and I'm back to 33.  What's up with that?  I've never used Smart Sync.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for the updates @Karl H.4!

Can you just clarify for me, did the syncing on your desktop app progress and finally show "up to date", or is it stuck again syncing a number of files?

Regarding the Smart Sync notification, it sounds like the file that you tried to open was synced to your device as "online only" rather than locally. Did you happen to see the sync icon before opening the file?

Can you check in the following location if the default for syncing new files on that device is set to "Local" or "Online only":

1. Click the Dropbox icon in your system tray.
  2. Click the profile pic/initials icon in the top right of the window.
  3. Choose "Preferences..."
  4. Go to the "Sync" tab.
  5. Check the settings "Sync new files as".

Keep me posted on your findings!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Karl H.4
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Daphne,

I am still stuck at "uploading 22 files, downloading 33 files".  It helpfully also tells me "(2+days)".

thanks

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for clarifying @Karl H.4!

I'd like to look into this in more detail with you, so I've reached out to the email linked with your profile here.

If you'd like to, please check your inbox when you have the chance and we'll take if from there.

Thanks!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Karl H.4
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution
In case someone in the future is having this problem: the Dropbox team helped me pinpoint the cause. Yahoo Groups recently offered to send a zip file of files from Groups that they were closing down, and I had unzipped this on my PC. However, these files had names ending with spaces, and once those get onto your system, Windows can't delete/move/rename them. Once I deleted them with a shell command, Dropbox stopped trying to sync them.

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey again @Karl H.4!

Thanks for taking the time to get back to me here with the details on what resolved this for you. I'm sure that this will be helpful for others having the same issue as you. 

If you need anything else, please feel free to give me a shout here anytime. :grin:

I hope you enjoy the rest of your week!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

rpbergman
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I have the same problem, but your solution does not help.

When I go to the Account Tab, there is no "Fix Permissions" or "Fix Hardlinks" button to click at all.  Only and option to unlink the Dropbox from my computer.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

PKM New member | Level 2
    Brandy S.4 New member | Level 2
    perdomini New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?