cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Folder upload uncompleted

Folder upload fails on Dropbox.com

Pascale2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Hi, I just started with Dropbox Plus. I tried to upload large folders to Dropbox, which took quite a long time (sometimes about 2 days for some of the folders). 

When the uploading was finished, I got reports mentioning that large amounts of files could not be uploaded (180, 450 files...)!!

Can I resume the uploading of the missing files only?  or do I have to remove the whole folder from Dropbox and start uploading again? (with the risk that some files will be missing once more).

BTW, I did not see any Zip folders being uploaded to Dropbox as it's been mentioned in some of the tutorials.

Thanks for the help!

28 Replies 28

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

According to this Help Center Article:  https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/desktop/cache-folder

you can delete the cache.  Try deleting the cache folder as shown in the article and see if this changes anything

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Pascale2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks! looking forward to reading you!!

Pascale2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I cleaned the cached files, and it helped a bit. 

However, it seems that my Dropbox files (approx. 172 MG - see screenshot) remain located on my local drive (181 GB of documents), because, appart of Dropbox I now have a very limited amount files on my local drive. 

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 10.54.49 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-09-28 at 10.55.19 PM.png

Is there a solution to prevent the dropbox cloud files to be stored loccaly????

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

There is.  Theres a feature called Selective Sync.   In the settings, you go to Sync tab, and go to Selective Sync.  You select which folder that you WANT to see on your Hard Drive.  The folders that is not picked, the Client will delete from Harddrive but will keep on the cloud.  This sounds like what you want.

More info here: https://help.dropbox.com/installs-integrations/sync-uploads/selective-sync-overview

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Pascale2
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks!!! That was it! Fine that you helped me out!!!

Chris_J
Super User
Go to solution

I am very glad to help and also glad that you found what you were looking for

Have a good week

MaksMaks991
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution
Sometimes uploading a large set of files we see a message at the end of operation stated that some files are failed to upload to Dropbox. But there is no any button to quickly retry uploading of them.

Our real scenario. We started uploading a folder containing about 10k files. After several hours when the operation was complete we saw the message mentioned above. Opening details we got almost unresponsive (due to the count of files) window with the list of all files. Somewhere in the middle of this list we found those failed files. Some of them were from one subfolder, some from another one. Wasted about 1 hour of my time I collect all failed subfolders. When I tried to upload them again all was fine, files were uploaded.

So my obvious question is why do you force people to waste the time on actions that can be easily do automatically? Just give please ability to rerun upload for failed files/folders.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Dropbox isnt designed to be used via the website - its designed to be used via the software on a desktop where auto reuploads etc. automatically happen. The website is intended to be used when your main computer isnt available. 

Can you not install the software and upload that way?

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

MaksMaks991
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dropbox is designed to be used by all provided ways. Some notes about our scenario:

- we have several flash drives

- we want to send content of each drive to Dropbox to make backup and get rid of the flash drives

- we want to use smart sync to not have all the files on local computer

You suggest to use desktop app. But this will force us to copy all files to local Dropbox folder. Obviously we don't want to have thousands of files on the local drive.

Web app should be as comfortable as another ways of Dropbox usage.

Another use case: what if we want to upload files from work computer and not home one and we want to not have desktop app installed? 

Need more support?