Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Folders are no longer being shared

Explorer | Level 3

Hi

I share a few folders with a stand alone PC.

The stand alone PC has its own Dropbox user as it shares foldes with others. Both my computer and the stand alone PC has Dropbox installed.

Now (it has also happened before) my stand alone PC "disconnects" the folders from all the other computers... (On the stand alone PC the folders show "Only me" below "Members" for each folder, when I press "Files"...

What can cause this fault? - and how can I prevent it from happening? (The stand alone PC is not "used" by any one - it turn on and processing excel files).

Thanks in advance.

8 Replies

Re: Folders are no longer being shared

Dropboxer
Hey there (@JL77), while it would be worth noting that sharing files & folders across devices with other users pertains to network permissions in your workgroup, I’m wondering how Dropbox comes into play into this type of configuration. 

On the other hand, if you’ve created a separate Dropbox account for your second pc, you’ve installed the Dropbox desktop application on both devices & you’re sharing a Dropbox folder with them (it should have a two-people icon on it 👥), then the behavior you’re describing would be unexpected, as Dropbox wouldn’t be able to interact with other devices (in or outside your network)

Anyhow, I'd appreciate it if you could elaborate a bit on how you've shared your content across your pcs, so as to determine the best next steps for you.

Once I have a bit more info, I’ll try to address your initial inquiry in a bit more depth. Thanks in advance for the time you’re devoting in clarifying matters for me & I’ll be awaiting your next message on this discussion. Until we talk again, I’m wishing you a wonderful rest of your day ahead! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi

Thanks for you quick reply...

It is fairly simple...

We are 3 users with each our own Dropbox account.

When login in to dropbox through a webbrowser Dropbox shows on my computer and my friends computer show that we have 2 folders that have 3 members (me, my friend and the stand alone PC).

But when looking on the stand alone PC (again in through the webbrowser) it shows the exact same folders - BUT here the only member is "only you" (the stand alone PC user)...

Some how during the weekend stand alone PC has disconnected the folders in its Dropbox... Now I can (i the webbrowser on the stand alone PC) go to "Sharing" and find that the folders are shown as "Folders you can add to your Dropbox"...

So the relation is still there - it has just deactivated it self at some time during the last week...

My question is what can cause this "selfdisconnection"...?

(I tried to upload files - but the site shows that "An Unexpected Error has occurred")

Explorer | Level 3

Hi again

Just some extra information...

Now when adding the folders to the stand alone PC dropbox (through the "Sharing" site in the webbrowser), then the added folders are named "xxxxxxx (1)" as there already is a folder called "xxxxxxx" on this computer...

I would really like to avoid this name change....

Dropboxer
I appreciate your speedy & informative messages (@JL77)! Now I’ve painted a much clearer picture of how this appears like on your end & for that reason I’d like to step back a bit & follow your train of thought based on your last description! 

#1. As an initial point of reference, it appears you may have deleted or left one or more of your shared folders (i.e. that is on your stand alone PC) however you can add it back following the steps outlined here (i.e. through the folders you can Add to your Dropbox, just as you've already mentioned). Since you’ve already got a folder with the same name, then it's expected that the new (and really shared) folder should have "(1)" appended to the name to help you sistinguish which one's which. From there, you could delete the un-shared copy of your folder. If you do, then you can rename the shared folder to whatever you would like.

#2. Following, now that we’ve narrowed down to the issue to being specific to your "stand alone PC”, I’m wondering if you’re using the website or our desktop application (i.e. that’s just so as to send you a bit more info in regards to the possible causes of this behavior).

Thanks again for sticking with me on this discussion & I’ll be awaiting your next reply, in order to get to the bottom of it together!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane

Once again thanks for you quick responses... winking face

I use the desktop application on all computers - so in that way the stand alone PC is no different than the others... But some how this computer is the only one "selfdestructing" the sharing of folders... winking face

I only used the website to conclude that the sharing of folders on the stand alone PC was missing...

Hope you have a great solution to avoid this in the furture... winking face

Dropboxer
I appreciate your detailed description JL77! Now that I have a clearer picture of how this appears on your end, let me have a closer look on your filestructure through our Official Support channel. In order to investigate having all our tools available, I’ve made sure to reach out to you directly via email. 

Whenever you find some time, please check your inbox for my email & I’ll make sure to promptly get back in touch with you asap. Thanks for your ongoing cooperation on our Community & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane, 

I wrote to you yesterday from the email address [email address removed by moderation for security reasons] but I have not heard from you since... (You answered to [email address removed by moderation for security reasons]  that I needed to write from the other address to confirm my identity).  

Has the email gone through?

wkr

Sverre

Dropboxer
Thanks a lot for getting back in touch with me on this discussion Sverre (@JL77)! Please bear in mind that I’ve removed your personal information for security reasons ( as per our Community Guidelines)

From there, it would be worth noting that I’ve already messaged you on my end earlier & I’m awaiting your update. However (based on your description) you haven’t received my email yet, so I'd quickly suggest logging in to our support system by visiting dropbox.zendesk.com with the email address in question, so as to see my latest message. You‘ll need to create a password there, as it is separate from your Dropbox account. 

Thanks again & please do let me know here if you're still unable to locate my replies.

Jane

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Folders are no longer being shared
8 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post