Announcements
Can you spare 5 minutes to help us improve our online support experience? Get involved!

no

Folders not syncing between computer and dropbox online

Explorer | Level 4

I have a Dropbox folder on my desktop with folders I have synched from my online Dropbox; but the things on my desktop are not showing up in my online Dropbox. I have checked and they are all in the correct places so they should be shared and showing up online, but they do not. I can't search in my online dropbox and find any of those things even though they are in synched folders. I checked and synching is on. Please help. 

10 Replies

Re: Folders not syncing between computer and dropbox online

Super User II
Hi JennBryant

Can I just check something.

The folder on your desktop, have you just copied and pasted those files in to the Dropbox folder on your computer? If so then I'm afraid they wont update and change automatically as thats not how Dropbox works. Dropbox can only see/edit/change the files that are inside the Dropbox folder and nowhere else.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

Nope, I created the items and folders inside the shared Dropbox folder. 

Super User II
So they are not on the desktop? They are just in the 'Dropbox' folder?

What happens then if you mouse over the Dropbox icon on your status bar? Thats the bit near your clock.

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

That is correct. They are in the Dropbox folder that is synched to my desktop, but they are not showing up when I search in my Dropbox online. When I mouse over the Dropbox icon in the status bar it says "Dropbox 30.4.22 Up to date"

Super User II
Have you tried a restart of Dropbox?

Explorer | Level 4

Tried that, restarted my router, restarted my computer, everything

Super User II
What happens if you add a file to the website (www.dropbox.com/home) does it appear in 'Dropbox' on your computer?

Explorer | Level 4

Okay, so it looks like certain folders in my desktop Dropbox folder ARE synching, and I can add a file to one of those folders and it synchs both ways. However, some of the other folders in my desktop Drobox folder are not synching - is it because I created those folders and their contents on my desktop Dropbox instead of synching them from the online dropbox? I thought everything in the desktop Dropbox would automatically back up to the online Dropbox, and that was the purpose of my using Dropbox in the first place. If that isn't so, I need to get to work backing things up and maybe fiogure out another backup system. 

New member | Level 2

I have the same issue. Did you discover the solution?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Folders not syncing between computer and dropbox online
10 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post