cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

Forced "Choose online-only" when re-linking computer to account

Explorer | Level 4

My Dropbox application (Apple) kept quitting on startup, so I was advised to delete the app/caches and start over. Fine; when I sign in during a fresh install, it asks "How should your files sync?", and says "Choose online-only" because I don't have enough space. The reason it's saying that is because I have 250 GB of files in Dropbox servers, and not 250 GB of free space on my machine. But, those files are already here - on my disk in the Dropbox folder - by linking the computer to the Dropbox server data, no new files need to be added at all.  Why won't it first connect to the right folder and then decide how much new space is actually needed? If it did that, it would know that I have plenty of space. 

So now, if I say "online only", and then point it at my Dropbox folder, it will find a bunch of files that are local and delete them off my local drive, to implement the "online only" policy for them, right? I know they won't be deleted from Dropbox servers, but why have it delete them locally, since ultimately I want most of the files to be Local? I guess maybe I can change the settings quickly, as soon as I link it up, before it deletes too much - is that the only way to do this?
Tags (1)
7 Replies

Re: Forced "Choose online-only" when re-linking computer to account

Dropboxer

Hi @Michael L.80 - happy Monday!

From what I understand you already have an established Dropbox folder locally on your computer and you'd like to re-link the app and point your Dropbox folder there - corrrect me if I'm wrong please. 

When you re-install the Dropbox software and you do not want to re-download all of your files from the server, you need to choose the "Advanced" setup option during the installation process. Then you need to choose the parent folder of the existing Dropbox folder as the location for this new install.

For example, if your old Dropbox folder was added to: C:\Desktop\Dropbox you would need to choose C:\Desktop and the client will try and create a new Dropbox folder.

Since you're connecting with the same Dropbox account as before, the desktop app will detect the existing folder and prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. Upon merging the desktop version of Dropbox will check the existing files and the server versions and update accordingly.

Please do note that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder or on the web interface while the folder was "offline" will generate conflicted copies.

I hope this helps and please keep me posted on your progress Michael! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you! Very useful info. Where is this Advanced option during the initial startup of the application?

Dropboxer

It should be there upon re-installing (and thus re-linking) @Michael L.80!

In case you missed it, you can pause syncing, move your Dropbox folder to its previous location via the app's preferences and let it sync until it shows 'Up to date' again. 

You should be good to go!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Done. Unfortunately the completely new install crashes just like the old one :-(Screen Shot 2020-01-20 at 8.46.00 PM.jpg

Dropboxer

Sorry to hear about those crashes Michael.

As this would require account specific information and looking at your device's logs, I'd suggest taking this to email. 

Upon creating a new ticket for you now, I just found your existing one on our system and passed your comments there to keep all the relevant information under one place. 

I've also gave it a nudge in our expert's queue so you should be hearing from them soon.

If there's anything else I can assist with in the meantime, just give me a shout! 

Walter

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you! The technician on email said that I should test it in a new OS account, and if it works, they can't help any more :-(   it did work in another account, so what can I do now? I don't understand what suddenly went wrong; surely there's a logfile somewhere showing why the executable exits?

Dropboxer

Thanks for keeping me in the loop Michael. Happy Monday!

At this point, I'd suggest checking your inbox for our expert's reply as I can see they already sent you an email in an attempt to troubleshoot this further. 

Let me know if I can do anything else to assist. 

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Forced "Choose online-only" when re-linking computer to account
7 Replies
3 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post