cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GDPR Compliance for Personal / Free Accounts

GDPR Compliance for Personal / Free Accounts

TomMacD89
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi,

I work with various charities in the UK who often use free Dropbox accounts to share files for boards of trustees, teams etc.

There is some confusion as to whether the GDPR compliance steps that Dropbox have made apply to these accounts or only to those on Dropbox Business.

Could this be clarified please?
71 Replies 71

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
What seems to be troubling you Sabryx

Please do let me know of any questions you may have & I’ll do my best to check back with you! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

BradJohnson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I'm really confused about all that GDPR stuff...Dropbox said they comply, but for any other big site I have a full cookie consent - not just telling me that if I continue using the site I agree with everything! I have specifically to agree - for example I may choose I don't want to be tracked by pixels, analytics and so on, but to accept only cookies, needed for site functionality.

Then, when I login my account I don't have any GDPR agreement to accept, nothing!

I can't see where to manage what information I allow to be shared?

Could you someone explain this, maybe from Dropbox stuff....

Thanks!

aukevn
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Yes it is confusing, but cookies is a seperate issue from what is discussed here. Yes Dropbox should warn you if they use them but if they don't, that is their responsibility.

But if you run a business and you store personal data on a platform such as Dropbox, you need a Data Processing Agreement. Dropbox apprently likes its large customers better than the small ones, as they only offer it if you take a Business Account with a minimum of 3 users. So everybody else should move the personal data away from Dropbox, else your company does not comply with de GDPR. 

Yes, Dropbox states that they comply to the regulations, what they mean is that if you are a private customer they comply. But if you are a small business users and you can't afford to buy a Business Account with 3 users for 30 euro a month, then Dropbox free and Personal accounts don't comply.

Sabryx
New member | Level 2
Go to solution
I'm worried because you're not compliant. The DPA stipulates it only for Business accounts, although both the Plus and Professional accounts are paid.

AlessioStorari
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I am a DB Business user.

I've been asking DB if DB Business is GDPR compliant and so far I've received no answer - which, as a lawyer, I take as a NO, it isn't, but we won't confess.

Amazon clearly states this with regard to theair cloud services:

https://aws.amazon.com/compliance/gdpr-center/?nc1=h_ls

Why can't DB do the same? 

I'm really, really worried.

Please, DB, it's really that simple: just tell us DROPBOX (BUSINESS) IS GDPR COMPLIANT (if it is...).

We need nothing more.

aukevn
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

They have stated it also on this forum. Here is the DPA that applies to Business accounts:

https://assets.dropbox.com/documents/en/legal/data-processing-agreement-dfb-013118.pdf

AlessioStorari
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi aukevn and thank you for your prompt reply.

First of all it's a shame that DB staff in Italy haven't been able to provide me with a definitive answer in a week... (I'm still waiting for a simple answer YES DB BUSINESS IS OKAY, RED HERE... (url with a clear statement).

This being said, could you please tell me where actually DB states (just) that DB Business service is GDPR compliant?

The only resource I've found is this:

https://help.dropbox.com/security/standards-regulations

which is lost in a webpage no regular italian user could ever find...

Thank you again, cheers

aukevn
Helpful | Level 7
Go to solution

Here on the forum they state it and I got an email (after askin about 5 times I finally got a clear answer)

Haven't found it anywhere else.

AlessioStorari
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

This is really unfortunate and upsetting. Let's hope they state it clearly soon. Cheers

BradJohnson
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

So, all these stuff, cookies, GDPR, they will make life harder for small sites, the big ones - Facebook, Twitter, Dropbox - all they ignorantly simply don't give a [profanity removed by Moderator]....Take a look for Dropbox - even the cookie consent is not by the rules - by the law before dropping a cookie on your computer, you should aggree specifically (not passive, by simply move on site) and to have an option to continue using a site without any restrictions. Also you must have an option to turn off tracking for non-esential cookies and etc....As can see - noone of this has been implemented and I doubt it will be...

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Thomas Riesler SFF New member | Level 2
    siri1 Helpful | Level 5
    claires Helpful | Level 5
    louisebeattie Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?