cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GDPR Compliance for Personal / Free Accounts

GDPR Compliance for Personal / Free Accounts

TomMacD89
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution
Hi,

I work with various charities in the UK who often use free Dropbox accounts to share files for boards of trustees, teams etc.

There is some confusion as to whether the GDPR compliance steps that Dropbox have made apply to these accounts or only to those on Dropbox Business.

Could this be clarified please?
71 Replies 71

louisebeattie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
just about all the email providers that I know of, along with many other service providers, have put this in place very simply and effectively using one of two methods - adding the DPA as an addendum to their T&Cs, or using a standard one for the company which is electronically signed.

louisebeattie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
I have been a paid Dropbox user for many years and when I first signed up my account type was called Pro and this was only changed last year. Pro to me meant professional and I do use it for business and I need a DPA in place with all of my providers who are data processors/store personal data.

As a long term paid client, on what I believed to be a Pro account, the Dropbox stance is extremely disappointing. It's not that I can't afford a business Dropbox account, however, it is the fact that the Business account doesn't fit my needs, I don't have a team of three and as a business owner there is no business sense in paying for a service that I don't require just to get a DPA in place when there are other providers who meet my requirements and offer a DPA.

I really do not understand Dropbox' logic in this. They are alienating many long-term paying clients because they have chosen not to implement something that could be done very easily and cost-effectively by adding the DPA as an addendum to the T&C.

I see no indication from Dropbox that they are re-considering this stance which leads me to assume that they are obviously not interested in having solopreneurs, freelancers etc as clients.

I have already found good alternatives and am already in the process of uploading my data, which is a pain with my slow internet connection, however, unless there is a change in policy soon I will be cancelling my account before renewal after 7 years as a happy client.

AlessioStorari
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Hi Ed,

thank you so much.

AS

louisebeattie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution
pCloud will be implementing a DPA, Tresorit, I believe Google Drive but don't know for sure.

Indevon
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi all on this thread, which I have come to as my small Social Enterprise is looking into how we implement the GDPR. Looking at everything said here has made me think I will look for an alternaive to Drop Box - at the moment I use a paid for Plus account but its not a business account - and therefore does not do what I need it to do to ensure my organisation's is compliant with the law in the EU with regards a DPA.

polloq
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution
What alternative service have you chosen? I'm sure we're many who consider to follow the same path...

louisebeattie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

I have chosen pCloud - they are in the process of putting together a DPA for their clients at my request, and it is with their legal team just now. Service to date has been excellent and very responsive.

claires
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Thanks Louisebeattie.  Do you know if this is for their free accounts or their premium or business accounts?

louisebeattie
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

you would have to ask, I have a lifetime deal via appsumo.

claires
Helpful | Level 5
Go to solution

Just been on pClouds live chat and this is their response:-

"With its IaaS business model, pCloud provides storage infrastructure for your files, but does not process the information, contained in them. In other words, you may store your data subjects' personal information in pCloud for Business, but we in no way index, access or use this information in its plain form. Therefore, you don't need a DPA between your organization and pCloud AG."

I'm not sure they truely understand GDPR.

They have however escalated my query to management.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Thomas Riesler SFF New member | Level 2
    siri1 Helpful | Level 5
    claires Helpful | Level 5
    louisebeattie Helpful | Level 5
What do Dropbox user levels mean?