Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

Google Docs integration, sharing and extensions

Explorer | Level 4

Hello,

Excited to see the ability to create and share Google docs from Dropbox folders, but there are additional features and functions which would go a long way to making it more usable.

First, apparently because the contents of the embedded iframe aren't accessible, extensions like Zotero (an open-source citation manager widely used by academics) which work with Google Docs, aren't working with Dropbox-hosted Google Docs. Adjusting how Dropbox works with gdocs might make the many extensions and add-ons which have been developed for gdocs work better.

Second, the sharing of a Dropbox-hosted gdoc doesn't seem to allow other users to see it in their Google Doc libraries (nor vice-versa.) Being able to seamlessly work within Dropbox for all Google Docs which are shared with me would be the ideal, while allowing users of Google Drive to do the same with documents I share from Dropbox. (Minimizing the number of times I have to switch out of the Dropbox ecosystem is probably better from a customer retention/conversion perspective.)

Glad to see development on this is happening - good work.

1 Reply

Re: Google Docs integration, sharing and extensions

Dropboxer
Hi @whuber, thanks for posting your ideas on the Community!

We're always looking for ways to improve our apps and, although our dev team is putting in the work, your feedback is allowing us to do just that. 

I'll make sure your comments are passed along and, if you have any other comments you’d like me to forward, just give me a nudge. 

Cheers! nerd face

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Google Docs integration, sharing and extensions
1 Reply
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post