Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Grey X on Certain Files on One Computer/Sync Issues

Level 2

Hello,

I have a user that is experiencing a strange Dropbox syncing issue. He's currently using 2 computers, one is Windows 10 and one is Windows 7. He has Dropbox installed on both computers, and smart syncing turned on for the same folders. When he uploads a file to Dropbox on his Win 7 computer, it syncs fine and he can open it on his Win 10 computer. However, when he uploads a file to Dropbox from his Win 10 computer, the filename appears on his Dropbox on the Win 7 computer, but is greyed out and has a grey X on it and will not open. I was thinking that perhaps nothing was syncing on the Win 7 computer but here's the strange thing:

If the user uploads the file to Dropbox on the Win 7 computer, then opens the file on the Win 10 computer and makes changes and saves the file, when he opens the file again on the Win 7 computer it is updated with the changes! So the Dropbox on the Windows 7 computer is definitely still syncing certain files, but not files that are added from the Windows 10 computer. Has anyone had a similar issue or know what might be causing this and could provide a solution?

Tags (2)
1 Reply

Re: Grey X on Certain Files on One Computer/Sync Issues

Dropboxer
Hi there, @mphernandez1

It sounds like you’re experiencing something similar to what is mentioned in this thread, so I’d recommend giving it a read. 

If you’re still having trouble with this, let me know and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible.

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Grey X on Certain Files on One Computer/Sync Issues
1 Reply
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post