Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Have dropbox folder on external SSD, but keep default location

Level 4

I got a new iMac but with fusion drive. I got an external samsung evo with crazy speed. I wanna put my dropbox folder on that external drive. BUT I want my computer to look for the files at default location. Because I have a lot of stuff pointing to that location on laptops etc, so still wanna be able to work seamless without re-locating files depening on what computer I'm on.

Please advice.

Tags (1)
4 Replies

Re: Have dropbox folder on external SSD, but keep default location

Dropboxer

Hey there @KungSchtefan  - how are you today?

I'm not sure if you'll be able to achieve this as you'll be changing your file-paths so whatever the link you created from your computer to your Dropbox files will be broken and will need to be amended. 

If you could provide some additional information about your setup and what you'd like to eventually accomplish, I might be able to give you a pointer or two. 

In the meantime, keep in mind that Dropbox can indeed be used with an external hard drive as long as you can ensure the drive is always connected to your computer while Dropbox is running. If the drive is ever disconnected from the computer while Dropbox is running there is a small chance that the Dropbox software will start deleting files before realizing that the entire drive has been removed.

Additionally, you should ensure that the file system of the external drive meets the file system requirements. Those can be found in the following Help Center article:

https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/system-requirements

To move your Dropbox folder to an external drive you can use the steps in the following Help Center article: https://www.dropbox.com/help/desktop-web/move-dropbox-folder

[The location you select is the folder the Dropbox folder will be moved to, rather than the folder your Dropbox files will be stored in.]

I hope this information helps and let me know if you have any questions.

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 4

I have several computers (home, laptop, work) that use my dropbox. I have music arrangements saved in there that uses samples/files from dropbox. If I move the dropbox location on one of the computers (not using default location) and make an arrangement and point to files on the new dropbox location, what will happen when I open the files on my laptop that uses default dropbox location?

/S

Dropboxer

In that case you should be good to go @KungSchtefan!

Just make sure you let enough time to the app until it shows 'up to date'. 

If you stumble upon an issue, please let me know here so we can have a further look into this.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Super User II

@KungSchtefan wrote:

If I move the dropbox location on one of the computers (not using default location) and make an arrangement and point to files on the new dropbox location, what will happen when I open the files on my laptop that uses default dropbox location?

If you're referring to including links to a file within other files, then it likely won't work. When including linking to external files within another file, most programs use the full path to that file. If the path is not the same on all of your computers, the program likely won't be able to find the linked file.

I'm not 100% certain how that works on a Mac, but it's definitely a no-go on Windows.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Have dropbox folder on external SSD, but keep default location
4 Replies
1 Like