Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

Having to manually make Word & Excel files Local before opening them

Level 2

I am having to manually make Word & Excel files Local before opening them. If I try to open an online file (grey cloud), I get an "unspecified error" message. Other team members' files auto-download and open, but that isn't working for me. Any ideas?

3 Replies

Re: Having to manually make Word & Excel files Local before opening them

Dropboxer
Hey there @DavidOB,

So it seems like you’re having an issue with recalling the Smart sync file, usually this can be due to the file not downloading as quickly as expected so the app tries to open the file before it’s fully downloaded.

To have a further look into this, can you let me know the current version of the desktop app that you have installed on your computer? Also, please let me know the OS of your device (Windows or Mac etc).

Finally, can you let me know when you try and open a file and get the error message, if you go back to the file in your file browser, do you see the file is now local or still online only?

Let me know what you find - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Level 2

Just for the record: This issue is now solved. Re-installing Office did the trick. Looks like it was an Office issue and not so much a Dropbox issue.

Everything is working fine now.

Dropboxer

I’m glad to hear you resolved the issue on your end and very much appreciate you updating us here on what worked for you! 

If there’s anything else we can help with here, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us here on the Community. grinning face with smiling eyes

Have a great day - Cheers!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

Having to manually make Word & Excel files Local before opening them
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post