Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

How can I attach the actual file from my Dropbox instead of a shared link?

Level 2

I have a personal (free) dropbox account.   When I attach a file it attaches a link, not the actual file.  I do not want to attach a link.  Is there a version of Dropbox that will allow me to attach the actual file?

3 Replies

Re: Attaching files

Dropboxer
Hey there @broderick,

Can you clarify for me where you’re accessing Dropbox from when trying to attach a file, eg. the website, the desktop app or the mobile app? This will help me to understand the situation better so that I can accurately assist with this.

Let me know - Thanks! 

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Level 2

I am using Google Chrome on a MacBook Air.   In Gmail, I have downloaded the icon to easily attach a file from Dropbox, but when I attach the file it is a link.  I have tried everything but the only way to attach the actual file is to download it first to my harddrive....obvioulsy defeats the purporse of dropbox.    Thank you for your help.    

If I need a different version of dropbox to allow this feature let me know.  That is the only thing I can think of.

Dropboxer
Hey @broderick, thanks for the clarification!

The Gmail and Dropbox integration allows you to save to and share directly from your Dropbox account, it is expected that shared links are attached within the email so as to save space in your inbox.

Out of curiosity, do you have the Dropbox desktop app syncing your account to your computer? If you do, I can suggest that you can instead attach files from the Dropbox folder on your computer, as the files are already synced and available there.

Hope this helps - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How can I attach the actual file from my Dropbox instead of a shared link?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post