Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

How can I get my files out of the Dropbox folder completely without any errors?

Explorer | Level 4

Running out of Dropbox space, so I moved folders onto an external drive. When I tried to access those files, I got an error message that the files were only available online and that in order to see them I had to move the folders back into Dropbox - which I did.

Now, I can see the folders and file names in Adobe Bridge BUT the files themselves are unreadable. AND I cannot see the folders or files in Dropbox online.

HOW do I get my files back? AND how do I get them out of Dropbox completely and onto an external drive?

5 Replies

Re: How can I get my files out of the Dropbox folder completely without any errors?

Dropboxer

Hey @t_rowe

I'd be more than happy to help with this. 

At first, it sounds like you had the files originally Smart Synced as online-only, which would mean that it wasn't fully donwnloaded to your Dropbox folder to save space on your hard drive. 

To view files that have been Smart Synced like that, you'll have to revert them back to being local by right-clicking and selecting the relevant option. 

Also, if you can't see the folders and files you moved out of and back in again to your Dropbox folder, check if your desktop app is still syncing by hovering over your Dropbox icon in your system tray or menu bar. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: How can I get my files out of the Dropbox folder completely without any errors?

Explorer | Level 4

Dropbox says it's syncing over 185K files. My folders and files are no longer on my external device and I have my computer set to online only.

Some of the folders that were on my external device are visible on Dropbox online BUT not all of them, and the folders that are visible in Dropbox online are empty.

I can't right click local folders because I moved them back into Dropbox as the system told me to so I could see them. Where are my files? Still in some sync limbo? Were they deleted?

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info, @t_rowe

The first step to take is to check if the desktop app is still syncing. You can do that by hovering over your Dropbox icon on your system tray or menu bar.

If you find that it reads up to date, have a look at your events page for any additional info on the content that you don't see in your account. 

You can also navigate to the deleted files tab and, in the case that you find the missing files listed there, you can restore them as outlined in this article

If you're still having trouble with this, I can send you a ticket so that we can have a better look into this together. 

Let me know how it goes!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for the follow-up. Everything is syncing, and DB is down to a total 63K files syncing. The missing files are not in the deleted folder so I guess they're somewhere in sync limbo?

Getting ready to go out of town so will have to revisit this in about a week.

Dropboxer

Sounds like they are still trying to be synced indeed, @t_rowe

No worries, give me a shout when you have the chance to check on the status. 

In the meantime, I hope you have a smooth trip!

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How can I get my files out of the Dropbox folder completely without any errors?
5 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post