Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

How can I make sure that when I edit a file on my computer it changes in Dropbox too?

New member | Level 2

I have a file on HD and on Dropbox. How can I realise that when I make a change in the Dropbox file it also  changes in the HD file?

12 Replies

Re: Changes in files same time in Dropbox as on HD

New member | Level 2

If you have the Dropbox desktop application installed and syncing, simply move the file to anywhere in the dropbox folder and the file should change within a few minutes.

New member | Level 2

So I have to move the file myself? Can it also go automaticaly?

Is it also possible to make a change in a file in dropbox on my tablet and it makes the same change automaticaly in the file on my laptop HD?

New member | Level 2

Let me see if I understand, you're saying you want to sync a file somewhere on your HD(not in the dropbox folder) with dropbox?

New member | Level 2

I want to sync a file on  HD to dropbox and the other way around, from dropbox to HD.

New member | Level 2

ok, if the file is ok the be stored in the dropbox folder( C:\Users\"yourusername"\Dropbox\), then simply store it there and dropbox will keep it synced automatically. If it has to be stored somewhere else on the HD, you'll need to look into "windows symbolic links".

In case you haven't installed the dropbox folder: https://www.dropbox.com/install

Highlighted

Super User II

I think the part you're missing is how Dropbox works, exactly. When you install Dropbox, a Dropbox folder will be created on your computer. Any files that you want to sync to your account or other devices should be moved into the Dropbox folder. The idea is that you work on the files in that folder and they will sync automatically as changes are made. Dropbox does not sync files that are located elsewhere on your computer.

The suggestion to use symbolic links should be taken with extreme caution. Dropbox will not sync files at the end of a symlink in real-time. Dropbox is only able to detect changes at the end of symlink when Dropbox is first started (when you launch the application, after a reboot, etc.). Also, using symlinks within Dropbox can cause issues such as high utilization and even sync failures. Dropbox does not support symbolic links.

New member | Level 2

do I have to activate the sync option or is that activated when I install Dropbox?

New member | Level 2

as soon as you sign in it should begin syncing.

New member | Level 2

So, when I make changes in a file in dropbox and I save it, the same changes are made in the same file on HD?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How can I make sure that when I edit a file on my computer it changes in Dropbox too?
12 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey