cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I print an index of files contained within a dropbox folder for record purposes

How can I print an index of files contained within a dropbox folder for record purposes

ClaxtonJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

I use dropbox regularly for business purposes and regularly need to distribute specific information to multiple contacts via individual dropbox folders.

As a business we are required to keep records of information that has been issued and it does not appear that dropbox allows for an indexed screen print to be made to evidence information issued within a specific folder on a given date and time. The functionality of providing the information is great but dropbox are missing a key function of being able to record and document what has been issued.

I have previously had to resort to screen printing each folder which is not sufficient as the full file path/file name is abbreviated and this does not allow a suitable record of the specific file name to be printed, surely an additional function can be added to the software to allow an index of documents  contained within a specific folder?

Does anyone know a way round this as it is wasting alot of time and resources by having to prepare separate folder lists to accompany each dropbox folder that we create.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there, @ClaxtonJ

At first, since this isn’t currently available through the website, I’d recommend checking this thread out which may be helpful in what you’re trying to achieve. 

Furthermore, if you’re on a Dropbox Business team and you are an admin, you have the capability to find info about how your team is using Dropbox, such as active members, storage, links created, active shared folders, and active devices, through the activity log.

Nonetheless, I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for more future consideration. 

Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

18 Replies 18

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there, @ClaxtonJ

At first, since this isn’t currently available through the website, I’d recommend checking this thread out which may be helpful in what you’re trying to achieve. 

Furthermore, if you’re on a Dropbox Business team and you are an admin, you have the capability to find info about how your team is using Dropbox, such as active members, storage, links created, active shared folders, and active devices, through the activity log.

Nonetheless, I’d be more than happy to pass your comments along to the dev team for more future consideration. 

Cheers!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

ClaxtonJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

The tread you have provided does not address my issue.

It will be appreciated if you could please pass my comments to your development team as without this function Drop-box will not meet the needs of our company (and other construction and or legal companies who need to evidence documentation that has been issued or shared)

A positive response in this regard will dictate whether we continue with a business account beyond our trial which has now expired.

I shall look forward to hearing from you to confirm whether this function can be added to the Dropbox platform which I suggest shall improve the service fro a number of users.

HispDocumentSto
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Try this app - worked wonders for me!

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @ClaxtonJ

In general, the dev team is working on and reviewing different features constantly in order to improve user experience. 

I can’t give a definitive timeline on when something like this will be worked on or, if it’s being worked on, when it’ll be released, but I’ve made sure to share your thoughts on this. 

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

rbragg
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Print File Directory:  Any update on adding this feature?   For me - this is almost a must have for file management.  Hopefully coming soon?   - Or - if it is already there and I didn't see it thank you!

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

@rbragg wrote:

Any update on adding this feature?

No change. Dropbox has no such functionality, and we likely won't know if they plan to add it until they actually do. Dropbox doesn't discuss what features they may or may not be adding.

ClaxtonJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Dissapointingly there has been no progress with this request.

The apps suggested to me do not provide the level of detail that is required for the business that we operate since file names (that are dictated to us by others and cannot be changed) are often are too long to display fully within the abbreviated screen print that dropbox allows which renders the screen print function worthless to us.

We are actively exploring other project based file sharing options although most (e.g. Egnyte) currently appear to use the same or similar platform and functions as Dropbox and are also missing a trick!

I do hope that Drop-box will listen to this request and add this important function however I suspect that more users will need to push/support this request in order to make it happen.  

KAH1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Have you heard anything since March?  This is a desperately missed tool from Dropbox

ClaxtonJ
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

There is still no sign of this fundamental requirement being added to Dropbox which is extremely disappointing.

Whilst the accessibility and security aspects of Dropbox are very good I wonder how long it will take for Dropbox to recognise the importance of being able to properly reference the information that is being shared and secured. I suspect this is the reason why more Construction and Legal firms do not use Dropbox for business.

This request was made in January and it is now nearing the end of August with no sign of the software being updated, can you please advise whether Dropbox will start listening to their customers, that is surely the point of a forum is it not?   

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

doeeyed New member | Level 2
    melinda33458 New member | Level 2
    Rob K.17 Helpful | Level 5
    Tiffany K.3 New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?