cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Error Logs

How can I see error logs if my syncing is stuck?

jwshrive
Helpful | Level 6

Is there a way to check error logs within Dropbox?

My Dropbox app has been stuck syncing for a number of days with 4000 odd files to go. I contacted support and they suggested doing a full reinstall. I completed that, but still get the same problem. I suspect there's a specific file or folder that is holding up the sync, but I don't know how to find which one it is. Being able to look at a log file would be extremely helpful.

9 Replies 9

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

Hey @jwshrive, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

In general, you can check the status of the desktop app and its syncing by hovering over your Dropbox icon on your system tray or menu bar

You can also check out this Help Center article for some suggestions on what to do if you see any of the errors mentioned there. 

However, since you mention that you're in touch with a member of our Support team, I'd recommend continuing with them as they have a better insight on the matter. 

I found your support request and have passed your comments along to my colleague reviewing this for you. As soon as they have more info, they'll get back to you. 

Let us know how it goes! 

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jwshrive
Helpful | Level 6

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply.

I'm not getting any actual errors; other than it being stuck with 4000 odd files to sync. I've done a full reinstall as per the suggestions with  my support person, but that hasn't worked either.

That's why I was hoping there might be an error log somewhere, so I could see what files are holding up the sync. If I can't work it out then I might need to look for another cloud storage provider as I'm a heavy user of Dropbox and desperately need it to sync between home and work.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff

I completely understand, @jwshrive. I can leave this thread open in case another user with a similar experience has any suggestions to add here.

However, I'd recommend continuing to troubleshoot with my colleague as they have more insight using our internal tools. Rest assured, they're doing their best to assist you. 

In any case, keep us posted!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

jwshrive
Helpful | Level 6

Just to clarify, there's no way to look at error logs for Dropbox or find out what files are holding it up?

Rich
Super User II

There is no such error log on the client.

Leo Creer
New member | Level 2

I am having the same issue with files on Dropbox.

Specifically .braw files 

I have been escalated to higher ter tech support and no one ever responded.

I have been dealing with this issue for 1 year and 10 tickets later. 

Tech support steal talks to me like I'm doing something wrong.

I even installed TrueNas and tried to sync through the API and the same files fail to sync.

My server gives me an error. 

failed to copy: multpart copy: failed to open source: unexpected end of JSON input

Walter
Dropbox Staff
Hi there @Leo Creer, I'm sorry for the late response. Are you still having issues with this?

Could you provide us with your ticket's ID in order to look it up on our system?

Walter
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

Leo Creer
New member | Level 2
Ticket #12531038

barorg
New member | Level 2

+1 here on all counts. Dealing with the same issue, with the same lame support suggestions. Thank the lord they didn't ask me to make sure my monitor is plugged in. There must be someone there with more than a basic understanding of the application, but they are not making that person available to support premium-paying users. 

Need more support?