cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I see the uploading progress on my Dropbox account on my desktop?

How can I see the uploading progress on my Dropbox account on my desktop?

droptool
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

How would I know the progress of file upload in the dropbox folder? Cause I can see the progress in browser  but how to see progress of the uploading file in the dropbox folder? I also dont wanna syn , I just want to upload the file and later delete those files from the folder when the process is done.

Moreover I wanna ask if the same process (hashing, zipping etc) is not initiated on browser then why I am still getting slow speed like 4.7 to 5 MBps approx? Almost all the files are aound 1.2GB to 2.5GB (no smaller files) and as you have suggested three factors 

• The size of the file(s).

• The number of file(s).

• The bandwidth and stability of your internet connection

kindly also suggest if any multicore cpu or ram improvement may improve the uploading speed?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @droptool, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community!

It’s my understanding that you’re using the Dropbox desktop app & you’d like to see which files are syncing similarly to the uploading window you're seeing on your account online; am I on the right track?

You can always look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (pc)/menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced, you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

Generally speaking, your uploading speed to our servers when using a browser depends mainly on your ISP and local network settings unless there are other traffic restrictions. Having said that, it would be worth noting that uploading from your browser is slightly different than syncing content from your desktop. 

As you mentioned that you’d like to speed things up a bit, I’d suggest adjusting your syncing speed & see if there’s a difference. 

Hopefully my post points you towards the right direction!

[Mod edit 2023, edited Help Center link]

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey @droptool, thanks for checking in with us on the Dropbox Community!

It’s my understanding that you’re using the Dropbox desktop app & you’d like to see which files are syncing similarly to the uploading window you're seeing on your account online; am I on the right track?

You can always look at the Dropbox icon in your taskbar (pc)/menu bar (Mac) and see if it is done syncing. When Dropbox is fully synced, you should see a tick followed by the words “Up to date” on the menu.

Generally speaking, your uploading speed to our servers when using a browser depends mainly on your ISP and local network settings unless there are other traffic restrictions. Having said that, it would be worth noting that uploading from your browser is slightly different than syncing content from your desktop. 

As you mentioned that you’d like to speed things up a bit, I’d suggest adjusting your syncing speed & see if there’s a difference. 

Hopefully my post points you towards the right direction!

[Mod edit 2023, edited Help Center link]

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Bradley Hester
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I clicked "Upload Files" in my dropbox in Google Chrome on a Macbook Pro Retina, and so I am uploading a Logic Pro X file that's 47 GB that I need to share to my producer in a different state.  My computer sounds like it is working on overdrive and my external hardrive (location of the file i chose to upload) is blinking like it's working, and the harddrive can't be ejected because "Google Chrome is using it".  But I can't see anywhere what the status of the upload is, or how long it is estimated to take before it is done.  Nor does the name of the file that's uploading appear anywhere.  I've already tried finding the "menu bar" and nowhere in chrome do I have the option to make it viewable, nor is there a dropbox logo anywhere for me to click on.

So then I went through the whole process of downloading dropbox onto the computer, so now it does appear in my menu bar up top, but when i click on that, nowhere within does it show me the progress of this upload which is currently still making my computer work along with the hardrive that the file is coming from, nor is the name of the file i chose to upload visible anywhere.  at the bottom of the dropdown is a little green checkmark that says "up to date" but when the mouse hovers on that it says "Pause synching" which to me makes no sense. If it's up to date, then what is it synching?

I've spent almost a half hour getting this stuff set-up to view the progress of the upload with no avail, and my computer is still loudly working in overdrive.  It's a well-functioning Macbook Pro Retina for audio and video production with a solid-state external harddrive.  

I deleted and canceled my previous dropbox membership because uploads were taking days and that made no sense to me (I have great internet and don't have upload problems with anything else).  The person i am working with prefers Dropbox, so i got it again.  Why in the heck wouldn't the upload progress be directly in front of my face when an upload begins.  The dropbox app doesnt even show that the file i chose to upload is uploading, not online, not when I look in the Finder window of the Macbook pro, clicking on the dropbox icon.  This is extremely frustrating and my computer has been working on overdrive now for more than 30 minutes.  I have no way to tell how long its going to be cranking unless I can find this information.  I am confused why it's not automatically visible where I choose to upload it.

So now finally, the computer quit going crazy, the external harddrive quit blinking and is able to be ejected, but there's no file in my files, not in dropbox in Finder window, not in dropbox online.  Where was it uploaded to?  Literally nowhere is it found in my Dropbox

Please help me, why is this app so confusing and frustrating when everyting else i use makes perfect logical sense?

Daphne
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey there @Bradley Hester, I'm sorry to hear you're having issues this!

If you're uploading via the website, then you should see a progress bar along the bottom of the web page. The Dropbox icon in the menu bar is specifically for when using the desktop app.

I'm not sure as to why you didn't see the uploading progress in your web browser window, but there could have been an issue with uploading the file, such as the web page timing out.

Since you were uploading via the website, it's expected to not see the progress of this through the desktop app's Dropbox icon. 

Having said that, since it's a rather large file that you're trying too upload, I would suggest that using the desktop app might be better for this.

The desktop app syncs the data in your account with a local Dropbox folder on your computer that was created when you installed the app. To upload the file via the app, you can move this file into the Dropbox folder on your computer.

You'll then see the progress of this through the sync status where you previously saw "Up to date".

I hope this helps, let me know if you have any other questions!

Daphne
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

DouglasThorne
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

When are you going to implement this into the desktop app? I mean this is simple stuff right?

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

DouglasThorne New member | Level 2
    Daphne Dropbox Staff
    Bradley Hester New member | Level 2
    Jane Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?