Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

How can I share a file with edit permissions?

Helpful | Level 6

Dear all,

As you can see that I can not make the shared file editable from your application (macOS version)

dropbox.png

8 Replies

Re: I can not make the shared file editable

Super User II

Thats because the file is a single web page link - its simply a link you click on which will take you to a website. The only editing you can do of such a file is to change the destination of the link.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you for your reply, but I am facing the same with txt files.

dropbox.png

Super User II

Because you are sharing an individual file. Files only have shared view access.

To share files that are editable you need to do it inside a folder.

Have a look at https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/share/share-file-or-folder#edit

Edit: sharing of individual Office files may be different depending upon the plan you and the person you are sharing with have.

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you again but this is not accurate since I can share a word file with somebody and they can edit it as can see below

Screen Shot 2019-07-21 at 5.33.11 PM.png

Super User II

No.

It is accurate. This is a screengrab I've just taken from Dropbox on my own account. I believe Office files may be slightly different as they can be edited using Office online within Dropbox's own website.

Screenshot 2019-07-21 at 15.40.52.png

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you again and again, but you were not accurate in your informaiton since you said FILE (including picture, word, txt, pdf, dwg....etc)

You should mention that Microsoft word, excel, powerpoint.... are exception.

Fore sure nobody can edit PDF if he or she does not have Pro version.

Explorer | Level 4

any update ??!!

Super User II

The information given is correct. As has been said and verified by Dropbox's own help articles and by pop ups on screen. Mouse over the 'Can View' box on your share screen to see the exact same message I have.

To edit files you need to put them into folders unless they are Office ones which can be edited on the Dropbox website. Note not everybody has the ability to edit office files online, it depends upon your plan.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How can I share a file with edit permissions?
8 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post