cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I use Dropbox to host a custom RUST map file?

How can I use Dropbox to host a custom RUST map file?

RUST-REPUBLIC
New member | Level 2

I would like to know how to host the .map file here for my RUST Game server?

I have followed the intructions to the letter and can't get the file to load.

some say dropbox doesn't work, some say it does... So far it's not working for me and i'm following tutorials that used dropbox.... 

I have done this so far.

Uploaded the .map file to my account here. I have set it to be able to share with anyone who has the link.

I use Scalacube for hosting so they ask me to input the .map file location in the "Custom Map" input area so I do.  https://www.dropbox.com/s/ngsxyy0pj3epw/Dystopia4.map?dl=1

Still nothing......

😞

What am I doing wrong?

6 Replies 6

Walter
Dropbox Staff

Hi @RUST-REPUBLIC - welcome to the Dropbox Community!

I'm not really familiar with this kind of setup; care to explain how this should work and how Dropbox comes into play in this scenario?

On a side note, the shared link you mentioned in your post is not an active one as I can see; could you recreate it and try again? Do you get the same results? 

Let me know what you find and we'll take it from there. 

Happy New Year! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join

TEAK
New member | Level 2

I also have this very same issue. The package comes in a RAR format and when I try to unpack and get the link for the .MAP file I get a message saying dropbox can not use the format. If anyone knows how to do this I would love to know how. Like walter said I have followed every step provided exactly but we can not open .MAP

RUST-REPUBLIC
New member | Level 2

unpack the file locally then uploaad the file into a folder then share the file and the link will be generated.

Vercetti
New member | Level 2

its not a unpackable file, its a .map 

Im stuck at this point, cause i really dont know how.. 

Headless_Zombie
New member | Level 2

I am having the same problem too. I use scalacube also have you figured it out yet?

Rich
Super User II

The issue is likely due to the fact that adding ?dl=1 to the end of a share link causes a redirect to a different URL. If your game server can't handle the redirect properly, you won't be able to host the file on Dropbox.

Also, keep in mind that Dropbox was not intended to host live game files like that. It's a file sync and collaboration service; not a file host. There are far better options out there for hosting files intended for game servers and other such applications.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Rich Super User II
    Headless_Zombie New member | Level 2
    Vercetti New member | Level 2
    RUST-REPUBLIC New member | Level 2
    TEAK New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?