Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

How could Dropbox upload 12GB in less than 12 hours with an upload speed of 110kb/s?

Explorer | Level 3

Here's the whole story. I first uploaded a folder with tons of pictures using Cyberduck. This folder has 9.8GB. Since Cyberduck couldn't preserve the modification date of the files, I deleted the folder from my Dropbox account using the web interface and then I also permanently deleted that folder from the Deleted Files section. Then, I installed Dropbox on my computer and I copied that same folder inside the Dropbox folder on my computer and let it upload the files. I also copied another folder with 3GB of size. So, the total size Dropbox had to sync was something about 12GB. My upload speed is limited to 110-120 KB/S. I said it right, kilobytes per second. You guys must agree with me that it'd take 30+ hours to complete the upload, but it took less than 12 hours. It's impossible.

The only explanation I can find is that even I permanetly deleted the 9.8GB folder, Dropbox somehow kept it and just restored the files and synced with the ones I placed inside the Dropbox folder, changing only the modification dates.

13 Replies

Re: How could Dropbox upload 12GB in less than 12 hours with an upload speed of 110kb/s?

Dropboxer

Hey there @pierremg,

Can you let me know what the current sync status of your desktop app is? Also, if you check your Dropbox folder in your file browser and let me know if you see all the files within showing a green tick sync icon.

Let me know what you find there - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

Re: How could Dropbox upload 12GB in less than 12 hours with an upload speed of 110kb/s?

Explorer | Level 3

Hi @

I can't actually permanently delete files

Explorer | Level 3

I addressed a similar issue in another thread https://www.dropboxforum.com/t5/Files-folders/How-could-Dropbox-upload-12GB-in-less-than-12-hours-wi... but since I repeated the process I decided to start a new discussion with more details.

Here are the steps I followed:

1 - I logged in to dropbox.com and deleted a folder.

2 - I went to the Deleted Files section and permanetly deleted the same folder.

3 - I also deleted the folder from the Dropbox folder on my computer.

4- I copied the folder again to the Dropbox folder on my computer in order to upload all the files again.

The result: Dropbox indexed the files without uploading them again, and then, the files magically appeared on my dropbox account. I'm talking about a folder with 9.8GB that would take at least 24 hours to be fully uploaded. This whole indexing process took only 10 minutes. It's clear to me that although I'm deleting the files, Dropbox is keeping them.

Re: I can't actually permanently delete files

Dropboxer

Hey there @pierremg - how are you today?

I'm not sure if this is the case here but it's possible that this folder was cached on your computer and that's why it only got re-indexed instead of full re-synced anew. Read on for more information please: 

Dropbox keeps a hidden collection, or cache, of your files as a temporary, backup storage. Files in the cache folder are stored there often after they are moved or deleted after syncing. If you can't find your file using all other practical methods, you can try to recover the file from Dropbox cache as a last resort. The Dropbox cache will keep your files for up to three days after they have been moved or deleted.

I hope this information sheds some additional light on your inquiry and I remain at your disposal if you have any additional questions. 

Walter

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Thank you for the information. There's a folder .dropbox.cache in my Dropbox folder but it contains only a few small files (95KB total).

Dropboxer

If you've resynced the contents of it, that sounds normal @pierremg.

Let me know if I'm missing something here please. 

Walter

Explorer | Level 3

It's not normal. I want to completelly delete all the files on my Dropbox account and reupload them because I think some files might be corrupted. My upload speed is 110kb/s. How can 9.8GB be synced in 10 minutes?

Dropboxer

I'm not sure about this @pierremg - can you reproduce this behavior at the moment?

If you do, may I reach out to your Dropbox associated email address to investigate further?

Thanks!

Walter

Explorer | Level 3

I deleted all files again. I unistalled Dropbox, deleted the Dropbox folder and reinstalled it again. I copied the folder I want to upload inside the Dropbox folder. All files were synced in 30 minutes. If I access dropbox.com all the files are there.

I decided to stop using Dropbox because it's not a reliable service after all the tests I performed. Thanks for your help anyway.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How could Dropbox upload 12GB in less than 12 hours with an upload speed of 110kb/s?
13 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post