Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

How do I enable selective sync on my machine?

Level 2

Can someone please explain selective sync in layman's terms? I've reinstalled Dropbox on my desktop PC because I wasn't seeing the same thing on PC and ipad or even on PC and when I try to post a photo from Dropbox onto facebook. I selected all folder to sync with computer, but it seems to be actually downloading them. I want to access, not have them reside on this pc. Obviously I don't understand how it works and cannot find a simple explanation. thanks

24 Replies

Re: Selective sync

Dropboxer

Hi Lynnda T., welcome to Dropbox Community!

Selective sync is a feature of the Dropbox desktop application that allows you to select only the folders you want to be synced to your computer. Selective sync gives you the control to ensure you have only the files you need on any computer.

If you decide that you need the deselected folders back on your computer, go into your Selective Sync settings and check the box next to the folder's name. Dropbox will then sync the updated folder to your computer again. To learn more about Selective Sync check here.

Let me know if this helps or you need anything further!

[This thread is now closed. If you have a similar or new question, you can ask here]

Norah
Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Selectively un-sync without deleting files

Level 4

I'm in the process of switching to sync my file with a different service, but still would like to keep Dropbox for some of its services. What I would like to do is unsync some of the folders between my desktop and Dropbox, while keeping the files on my computer so that I can sync that folder using a different service. The problem is when I un-sync the folder with Dropbox it also deletes the folder from the computer. How can I go about unlinking the folder without deleting it?

Selective Sync unexpected behaviour

Level 2

Windows Version 48.4.58

I''ve created a folder in Windows Explorer, and then unselected in Selective Sync, the folder is gone on the client computer, fine.

But then, accesing on the web app, I've renamed it, and it reappeared in the client computer.

Shoudn't be the beahaviour that this unselected folder no longer syncs, regardless if it name changes?

Re: Selective Sync unexpected behaviour

Super User II
No, that behavior is expected. Dropbox sees it as a new folder and syncs it. It doesn't know that it's the same folder, renamed.

Re: Selectively un-sync without deleting files

Super User II
Unchecking a folder in Selective Sync will always delete the local copy of that folder because the intended purpose of that feature is to remove the local copy of a folder to save disk space while it remains in your Dropbox account online.

If you don't want a folder to sync to Dropbox, move it out of the Dropbox folder.

Can I store files on Dropbox online without having them take up space on my computer?

Level 2

Aargh! I've read through some of the questions but I am still completelty confused. 

Basically I want to move my photos and or videos onto Dropbox so I don't have to keep a copy on my computer (where they take up a ton of space). 

Does anyone know how to do this? 

THANK YOU! 

Re: Storing without syncing

Super User II
You need to move them to Dropbox first (where they will take up space).
Then once they've all uploaded (look for the green ticks) use Selective Sync to remove them locally: https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview

Note you must NOT do Selective Sync until they've uploaded or you WILL lose any that have no yet been uploaded

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: Storing without syncing

Dropboxer
Dropboxer

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

cant find selective sync on laptop

Level 2
I can't find selective sync on my laptop . it says I am low on disc space but can't find out how to use this.
Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How do I enable selective sync on my machine?
24 Replies
14 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post