Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

How do I save files on my flashdrive and download them on another device?

Explorer | Level 4

Please Help me!!

I have to get a new personal laptop.  I currently use a Windows 7 system, and am requesting instructions on how to download my Dropbox files onto a Flashdrive prior to removing my old laptop.  Please walk me through the proper steps to accomplish this.

Thank you so much in advance,

Scott

8 Replies

Will (free) Dropbox location & files be intact & available after new laptop installed?

Explorer | Level 4

I need help PLEASE!!

Curently have Personal (Free) Dropbox Account.  Current lap top uses Windows 7; must be replaced.  With new Laptop, will my current Dropbox Account, files, etc. be intact and available for my use?  Please provide some info with answer.

Thank you so much for your help,

Scott

Re: Hod do I downlaod Dropbox files to Flashdrive in Windows 7?

Dropboxer
Hi there @Scotthelp1

If you have the desktop app installed, you’ll have a Dropbox folder locally on your computer. Since the Dropbox folder is just like any other folder on your hard drive, you can copy and paste your files to another location (such as a flashdrive) as you would with any other. 

If you don’t have the desktop app installed, you can manually download your files from the Dropbox website. Depending on where you’ve set the browser to save your downloads (usually, they’ll be placed in the Downloads folder), you’ll find the files there and you can then move them to the flashdrive. 

I hope this helps, but let me know if you have trouble along the way and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Will (free) Dropbox location & files be intact & available after new laptop installed?

Dropboxer
Hi there @Scotthelp1

To have access to your Dropbox account on a new device, you can either sign in on the website, or download and install the desktop app. If you install the desktop app, a Dropbox folder will be created on your computer and your files will download and sync

Having said that though, please bear in mind that Basic accounts have a device limit of three. In other words, you can have up to three devices currently signed in to a specific Dropbox account. 

More information
As such:
  • If you linked more than three devices before March 2019, all of your previously linked devices remain linked. You can find a list of all your connected devices in your Security tab
  • If you want to link a new device, you must unlink all currently linked devices down to less than three, and then you can link your new devices (up to three).
I hope this helped to some extent!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Re: Will (free) Dropbox location & files be intact & available after new laptop installed?

Explorer | Level 4

Dear Lusil,

Thank you so much for the answer to this question!!  It is vitally important to me to know, if I am unable to copy my Dropbox files to a falsh drive, they will be available after I set up my new laptop and set up my Drop Box Account under the same Username/Password!!

You're AWESOME!!

Thank you again,

Scott

Explorer | Level 4

Good Evening Lusll,

Thank you for your kind, quick, and detailed, response to my delimma - trying to capture my Dropbox files onto a flashdrive.  I do have the Dropbox App on my desktop.  I inserted the falsh dive for this purpose, however no synching occurred.  The synching option is active on my Dropbox App. 

I attempted to copy and paste files from the open desktop Dropbox Icon to the flashdive, and received the message: "Are you sure you want to copy this folder without its properties?"  If I did, I wound up with some empty folders; though some folders did transfer. 

I'm "pretty simple" when it comes to this kind of thing.  You provided excellent directions.  I tried both methods you initially provided, several times each, to be sure I did not make some mistake; not wanting to trouble you any more.

You did suggest I contact you again, if i did not succeed in these efforts.  So, I'm knocking on your door again.  Please advise me what else might be successful in this endeavor.  This is an old laptop, running Windows 7, and must be replaced as soon as I can capture this data, if that is possible.

Thank you so very much for you expertise and kind guidance,

Scott

Dropboxer
Hey @Scotthelp1, don’t fret, we will do our best to get to the bottom of this! winking face

Let’s try the following and let me know the results: 
  • Open your Dropbox folder that you have on your computer, containing all your files that are syncing. 
  • Select a folder or a file. 
  • Right-click on it and select Copy from the drop-down menu. 
  • Go to your flash-drive’s location. 
  • Right-click again somewhere in that location and select Paste. 
If you encounter the message you mention in your previous post or any other pop-up window appears on your screen, could you please send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of it so that I have a better understanding of what you’re seeing?

Thank you in advance!

[EDIT] I’ve moved your other post here so as to keep your queries together to ensure troubleshooting. 

As such, I’d be more than happy to continue working on trying to copy your Dropbox files from the Dropbox folder to your flash-drive. 

Nonetheless, I did want to ensure you that if you download and sign in with the relevant username and password of the Dropbox account in question, your files and folders should sync and be available locally on your computer. 

In any case, let me know how you’d like to continue or if you have any questions! grinning face with smiling eyes

Lusil

Explorer | Level 4

Dear Lusll,

Thank you for all your time, attention, and continued willingness to assist me with this issue.  I have determined, and want to assure you this is not a Dropbox problem.  This is a computer issue.  My laptop is dying, and is not fuctioning properly, or one of your suggestions would have been successful.  I am sure of that.  I am experiencing problems with other areas now, such as cut and paste, slow function of loading screens, etc.  I have most of the data I need stored on an earlier flashdrive used; and have been able to copy that info to another flash drive as well. 

I feel very fortunate to have had your expertise.  You are a wonderful resource.  When I switch over to my new laptop within the next week, I will download Dropbox onto it!!

I am extremely pleased to have Dropbox.  It is a wonderful peace of mind resource!!!  Even though I will loose what is left on this laptop; it is my understanding that everything saved to Dropbox earlier will still be accessible to me when I get set-up with my new laptop, and download Dropbox to it!!  That is worth more than I can place a value on!!!  Thank Dropbox, and thank you!!

Scott Walley  

Dropboxer
Thanks for writing back and for your kind words, @Scotthelp1

Should you need any further assistance on this or you have any other questions, don’t hesitate to give me a nudge and I’ll get back to you as soon as possible. 

In the meantime, have a wonderful week ahead!d67aa830490291.56259dfcf13f1.gif

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How do I save files on my flashdrive and download them on another device?
8 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post