Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us!

yes

How do I share a folder with someone that's on my computer?

Helpful | Level 7

Arrrgh!    I have been a paying customer ($9.99/month) since this February and have no idea how to send a folder to someone.   I have no icon for Dropbox.   The only way I can access it is by clicking on "Dropbox" in my Win 10 "Frequent Folders" window.   When I do so, all I see is a listing of the 25 or 30 folders and files that other have sent to me.   Here is what I want to do:

I want to send a folder that I have on my computer Desktop to someone.   I have no clue how to do that.   I need one of the experts here to please tell me how to get my folder into the Dropbox system so it gets sent to the recipient.    Please?

I find Dropbox to be a vast ocean of tedious confusion with instructions than mean little to anyone who is a non-expert and does not know the lingo.    It took me nearly two hours to just find this "Ask a Question" window on the Dropbox web site and by the time I found it I was getting very suicidal.

Larry1156

25 Replies

Re: Uploading a Folder

Super User

The first thing we need to do is make sure that folder that you want to share is inside your Dropbox folder.  If so, great, if not, do so and make sure it's fully uploaded to Dropbox Servers (Cloud).  if Dropbox icon in system tray has a green checkmark badge on it, then its synced.  Find the folder that you want to share, right click on that folder and select Copy Dropbox Link.  Then paste that link inside an email that you can send to another.

-------------------------

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Helpful | Level 7

Hi Chris,

Thank you very much for your reply.   Unfortunately, I cannot even find my Dropbox Folder.   I do not know where it is or what it look like.    All I have is a list of the Dropbox folders and files that I have received from others that I access through my Win 10 File Explorer.   At the top of this is a section called Frequent Folders.   Among the 8 or 9 frequent folders shown there is Dropbox.   I double click it and it opens to this list of the folders and files received.   There are no green lights, blue lights or other lights.    It has a little toolbar at the top with a few selections unders the headings Clipboard, Organize, New, Open and Select.   The list is unlabeled except for "(My Name) > Dropbox".    Is this the Dropbox Folder you are talking about?

I did what you said and send the folder concerned on my computer Desktop to Dropbox.    It appeared at the bottom of this list, but as a Shortcut of 2 KB.    I then right clicked this folder and selected Copy Dropbox Link.   A pop-up appeared that said in white writing on a black background that a link to this folder had been copied to my Clipboard.   But it does not appear on my Clipboard.   I open a new e-mail to the person I want to send this fold to and right clicked in the body of the blank e-mail but there was no link to this folder.   Zip.   Nada.    Nor have I seen any green checkmarks.    You mention a "System Tray"  -  where do I find this?    I have a tiny link to Dropbox buried behind an upward arrow just to the left of the clock in the bottom right of my monitor screen.   The folder icon that I moved to the Dropbox folder appears there and has a "Copy Link" notice to the right of it.   But again, nothing happens when I try to copy this and insert it into a blank e-mail.

Chris, what am I doing wrong?    Why can't I upload and send this folder? 

Thanks,

Larry1156

Super User

Larry,

First off, I want to clarify that Dropbox Client is installed and running.  Do you have a Dropbox icon in your system tray? If so, then the client is running.

@Larry1156 wrote:
"The list is unlabeled except for "(My Name) > Dropbox".    Is this the Dropbox Folder you are talking about?

yes but you can click on that icon, and you will notice a folder icon, click on that and that will open up your Dropbox folder.  Your system tray is on the bottom bar and you will see a bunch of icons toward the right-hand side.  That is your system tray, it also has a date and time (usually)  Do you see a Dropbox icon?

Okay, you will need to move that folder (from the Desktop) by dragging it into your Dropbox folder.  Apparently, copying and pasting create shortcuts or alias. which we don't want.

I created a video on how to do this on my Win 10 computer.  Keep in mind, my Dropbox icon may look different since I also have a Dropbox for Business account.  You will notice my Dropbox is named Dropbox (Personal) which would be different than yours.

I also show 2 different ways to get a link to the folder.  Hopes this helps

Click on this:  https://youtu.be/XZKfKm6zlOI

if this works and it was a solution, please click on Accept as Solution.  Also clicking on Likes would be super.  Thanks!

Uploaded by Chris Jones on 2017-10-03.

Helpful | Level 7

Thanks for replying, Chris.

Regarding a "Systems Tray", I have no Dropbox icon along the bottom of my screen.    Instead, I have a tiny link to Dropbox buried behind an upward arrow just to the left of the clock in the bottom right of my monitor screen.   The folder shortcut icon that I moved to the Dropbox folder appears there and has a "Copy Link" notice to the right of it.   But again, nothing happens when I try to copy this and insert it into a blank e-mail.

I looked at your youtube video but it was so small on my 24" monitor screen that I could not read any of the words that appeared, such at the labels on folder and document files.   So, unfortunately, I got nothing out of it.

I don't know what to do here, Chris.   I am filled with dispair over this.    Any suggestions?    I would hate to have to hire a tech who makes house calls and pay $250.00 for what should be a simply thing.    The only alternative I can think of is to shop around for another file sharing site that is easy to use and then cancel my subscription to Dropbox.   I'll be out eight payments of $9.99 = $79.92, but that's life.    I sure wish I knew how a highly complicated and sophisticated fee-for-service subscription web site like this can operate on the internet without Customer Support or any way of contacting the company by phone, e-mail or snail-mail.

I have been using a big Dell desktop roughly 8 hours a day 7 days a week since June 2000 and this is first time I have encountered something like this.

Larry1156

Super User

Sorry that you are having these issues.  It sounds like Dropbox Client is not running at all.  We encourage all to use the latest build so would you try another thing?  would you install Dropbox again?  go here https://www.dropbox.com/install 

after install, try to do the same procedure as before.

Highlighted

Super User

it just came to me that you are not using the Desktop Client but just using the web interface.  Using the Desktop Client really makes it a lot easier to use.  Anything placed inside Dropbox folder gets automatically synced to the Servers (cloud)  but if you insist on using the web interface only,

go to https://www.dropbox.com/h  click on Files on the far left of the screen,  you should be in file view, can you drag the folder you want inside Dropbox and drop it in the middle of the screen?  It should be uploading as you will see a progress bar at the bottom of the screen.

Once all the files are uploaded, hover your mouse over the folder and you will see a Share Button appear, click on share and then a pop-up shows and you can create a link

Helpful | Level 7

Thanks for that, Chris.    I am going to have to put this aside for a day or two because it has made me an emotional wreck.   I'll return to it at that time and give your re-install suggestion a try.   But first, do I de-install the Dropbox software (app?) that's on my computer now and if so, should I do this before or after I do the re-installation?    If the re-installation works, then I will no doubt be right back here asking what to do next.

Most appreciated,

Larry1156

Super User

If reinstalling, there is no need to delete the old installation, it will overwrite it.  Have you tried the web interface suggestion I made in the previous post?

Helpful | Level 7

No, not yet, but it sounds like you are recommending this in preference to the "client" re-installation?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How do I share a folder with someone that's on my computer?
25 Replies
7 Likes
Solved! : See solution