cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do I stop the desktop app?

How do I stop the desktop app?

Eddy Q.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

I want to close Dropbox. Just stopping the sync does not solve my problem. And I don't want to uninstall it. Do I have to close it via End Task in Task Manager?

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there, @Eddy Q.

Are you by any chance trying to stop the desktop app from running? If so, you can:
  1. Click on the Dropbox icon that’s next to your desktop’s clock. 
  2. Click on the gear icon. 
  3. Select Quit/Exit Dropbox. 
Please note though that if the desktop app isn’t running, your files and folders in your Dropbox folder won’t sync and any changes you apply to content from the website and any other connected device will not be reflected on your computer, and vice versa. 

If I’ve misunderstood your query, please let me know. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

javimidnight
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Eddy,

You could try to disable Dropbox when Windows starts.

You can do it:

• In preferences of the program in the icon which is near to the clock
  • Disabling the start in the Windows start options: 
    • From the Task Manager in Windows 10
    • From Windows+R (Run) / msconfig

Regards

View solution in original post

9 Replies 9

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey there, @Eddy Q.

Are you by any chance trying to stop the desktop app from running? If so, you can:
  1. Click on the Dropbox icon that’s next to your desktop’s clock. 
  2. Click on the gear icon. 
  3. Select Quit/Exit Dropbox. 
Please note though that if the desktop app isn’t running, your files and folders in your Dropbox folder won’t sync and any changes you apply to content from the website and any other connected device will not be reflected on your computer, and vice versa. 

If I’ve misunderstood your query, please let me know. Thanks!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Eddy Q.
Explorer | Level 3
Go to solution

Thanks, I expect that syncing will stop. BTW the reason I want to close Dropbox is because it eats so much computer time that I can't get anything done. If there is a solution for that then please let me know.

javimidnight
Helpful | Level 6
Go to solution

Hi Eddy,

You could try to disable Dropbox when Windows starts.

You can do it:

• In preferences of the program in the icon which is near to the clock
  • Disabling the start in the Windows start options: 
    • From the Task Manager in Windows 10
    • From Windows+R (Run) / msconfig

Regards

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey again, @Eddy Q.

If you’re seeing high CPU or RAM usage, I’d recommend checking this article out for some suggestions on what you should look for. 

If you’re having a slow startup despite the ideas provided in the article, let me know and I’ll make sure to get back to you as soon as possible. 

Cheers! :grin:

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Thomas-
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

"Click the gear" is what google suggests, pulling from this post, but there's no gear anymore.

Any changes to UI should come with an obligation for that design team to go update every old forum support instructions. Constantly tweaking your UI means building a library of reliable support articles is basically impossible.

I think as of December 2020 you need to left click the dropbox icon, then click your name/icon in the upper right, then click quit. Dropbox hijacks the right click menu so you can't just right click and hit exit like with any other sensible tray icon. Seems like a dark pattern to me but there you go.

nis1
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I wish Dropbox provides a user manual as a pdf that answers all these questions. I just subscribed to Dropbox. I am just in the "Free Trial" period.

I am having a hard time figuring out the right way to install it, the right way to back-up my files in such a way that the backup replicates the folder structure in my Windows11 PC. To find answers to these questions, I have to use Google to search for answers. I cannot find answers on the Dropbox site. I do not even know whether the installation went correctly or not. Such a poor support. I am thinking of canceling Dropbox and going to use some other service.

Hannah
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @nis1, thanks for sharing your feedback here.

If you installed the Dropbox desktop app on your computer and the installation was complete, you should now have a small Dropbox icon in your system tray.

Also, you should have a Dropbox shortcut on your Desktop that will open a Dropbox folder in your file explorer, with all your Dropbox files.

If you have other, specific questions about the Dropbox application or anything else Dropbox related, we'll be more than happy to assist you!

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Viv472
New member | Level 2

The gear box doesn’t show up when I click on the icon. Any other way to stop it ?

Hannah
Dropbox Staff

Hey @Viv472, if you want to close the Dropbox app, please follow these steps.

Hannah
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Hannah Dropbox Staff
    Viv472 New member | Level 2
    nis1 New member | Level 2
    Thomas- New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?