Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

How long does it take for others to see the updated versions?

New member | Level 2

I am having a bit of an issue with one of my clients.  Let me give some back story:

We have a project, and we have an outside consultant.  We have shared files with them on a project, but on the most recent update, there was some confusion.  I updated the files to Dropbox, and waited for the green check boxes, then sent them an email about 10 minutes later saying that the files were ready.  There were some significant changes, so it was important for them to have the correct files.  It was also the owner approved version, and I indicated that in the email.

Two weeks later, we asked the consultant about their progress on the work they were doing on this project.  One of the questions they had was about something that was a part of the files I had uploaded prior to the email mentioned above.  I told them it was in the Dropbox, and that prompted some confusion about which were the correct version of the files.  I checked the dates and times of the files on Dropbox and the email, and those confirmed that the files were there before the email, but he insists that he downloaded them that day, yet he was working with the previous version.

So my question is, how long after the green checkbox until the files are ready for others to download?  For reference, there are 8 files, the largest one is 626 KB.

7 Replies

Re: How long does it take for others to see the updated versions?

Dropboxer

Hey there @jclopton42, welcome to the Dropbox Community!

A green check mark indicates that the file is synced, and available on the website and any other connected device. 

Out of curiousity though, could you confirm if the files were sent individually as shared files, included in a shared folder, or sent as a shared link? 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

It was a shared link.  Can that make a difference?

Dropboxer

Thanks for confirming that for me, @jclopton42

This is just to give me some direction to troubleshoot for you. 

I'll just need a bit more info to ensure I have a solid understanding of what happened:

• Did you create a shared link to the folder with all the files in it or did you create shared links for each individual file?
  • Did you preview the shared link(s) after the files were synced?
  • Have you made any changes to the files since then?

Keep me posted!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

The shared link was to a folder that had the files in it.

I did not preview the link; I thought the green check was a good enough indicator.

The files remain as they were when I added them on the day in question.  Some other files and subfolders in the folder were added to it previously and have also not been changed since.

Dropboxer

It sounds like the other user may have had a shared link to older content and not the shared link you provided them with the second time. 

In this case, I'd recommend sending them the shared link that you've confirmed has the updated versions of the files and asking them what they see when they preview it now. 

Let me know how it goes, @jclopton42!

Lusil

New member | Level 2

Both links are exactly the same.  They got the files they need already, I was just trying to avoid this issue in the future.  Every time I tell them the files have been updated, I create a new link just in case, even though I've noticed it ends up being the same link.

Just to be clear, I'm not entirely convinced it is an issue with Dropbox.  I don't know exactly when they downloaded the files, I just assumed it was after I sent my email.  I guess checking the link doesn't take too much time or effort, so I'll probably do that going forward.

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Thanks for writing back, @jclopton42

In general, the shared link should be updated with the new content, so I can't say for sure what might have happened from the other user's end. 

Also, checking to see if the shared link contains the relevant file versions that you want to share would definitely give you some peace of mind. 

If you do get the same experience in the future or you have any other questions, just give me a shout. In the meantime, have a lovely weekend ahead!

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How long does it take for others to see the updated versions?
7 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey