Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

How long will it take to copy 5TB of data from one account to another?

New member | Level 2

Hi there

I have a dropbox account that belongs to a friend who wishes to transfer 5TB of files into my dropbox account. He will then delete these files.

I assume this is all done within dropbox and I don't need to download the 5TB onto my local machine first. 

Can you tell me how long this process would take your servers to complete and what is the best way?

4 Replies

Re: How long will it take to copy 5TB of data from one account to another?

Dropboxer

Hello @freeka - welcome to our Community!

To begin with, can you clarify this part for me as I'm not sure I understand?

@freeka wrote:

I have a dropbox account that belongs to a friend who wishes to transfer 5TB of files into my dropbox account. He will then delete these files.

So, are we talking about one account or two? 

Based on the data you're looking to transfer, I guess that this account must be on a Dropbox for Business teams plan. Is this correct?  I'm only asking as our individual plans come with 2GB the free, Basic one, 2TB for the Plus plan and 3TB for our Professional plan at the moment.

In regards to the time this is going to take, I wouldn't like to speculate as this is affected by many factors like the speeds your ISP can reach (and how it throttles them), your geo-location (some countries have limited data plans while others have little to no internet connection), the software you're going to be using to handle the transfer etc. 

I know this doesn't exactly address your question but I hope it clarifies matters to a certain extent. 

Please let me know if you have any additional questions. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi 

Yes, it's two accounts, both business. 

DropBox A to DropBox B. 

My question is: Why does it need my ISP? I want to transfer from a cloud source to another cloud source. It's like cloninng a cloud drive, why does my ISP come into it as I am not downloading or uploading at any point?

I hope that makes sense, please advise.

Star Collaborator | Level 18

Hi @freeka,

As you have described situation, share the folder and after that change the ownership would be the fastest way. winking face

Hope this helps.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the swift response @freeka!

@Здравко's correct then, all you'll need to do is have the owner of the said folder pass the ownership to you.  

You won't need to use any bandwidth in this way (unless you need to sync the content of the said folder on a computer using the desktop application). 

Let us know how it goes. 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How long will it take to copy 5TB of data from one account to another?
4 Replies
0 Likes
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post