Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

How to Delete files on Dropbox

Helpful | Level 6

I am actually asking for clarification = in the Help article [ https://help.dropbox.com/files-folders/restore-delete/delete-files ] it basically says I can delete files in DB backup on the Web if I go ahead and delete the files on my DB on my computer.  But if I have Selective Sync set up, such that Folder X is not copied to my computer is that likewise true?  Right now I have a folder I am going to delete on my iMac and assume it's mirror/twin on DB will be deleted, which is fine because that's my intent.  [am I right about this???].

But what about deleting intentfully folders that are on DB but selected not to be on the computer?  In that case there is nothing on the computer to delete so as to affect the mirror/twin on the web.

Tags (1)
5 Replies

Re: How to Delete files on Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hello @VictoriaJZslightly smiling face Thanks for posting. 

If the folder is unchecked in your Selective sync list, it will not show in your device. The only way to delete the folder would be to visit the website. 

If you have another copy of the folder in another location in your computer, then deleting this copy would not delete the Dropbox folder you have online. 

Only what you do inside your Dropbox folder will sync to the cloud. 

I hope this is helpful. If you have more questions I would be glad to get back to this thread. Thanks! nerd face

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Helpful | Level 6

one last Q tho I do think you answered the Q posed   "Only what you do inside your Dropbox folder will sync to the cloud. "

Thus, Is my understanding, below, correct?

If Folder X is not selected to sync on Computer A then the online version itself would have to be deleted there as it is not replicated in DB on Computer A ==  but if Folder Y IS selected to sync to Computer A then deleting Y on the computer will delete the online version also.

[I assume that if Document 1 inside a selectively synced folder is thus synced between online and computer and is deleted, that the online version of the document itself is deleted likewise....

Essentially folders/documents which are Selectively chosen to sync between online and computer are dealt with in the same manner.

What happens if Folder Y [or documents inside] is synced to both my iMac and my Macbook Pro = if I delete something on my iMac [which would seem to delete it from the online version], does that delete it on the MBP or do I need to delete in both places in order for it to be deleted online?  

Basically, the space on my MBP is less than my iMac so Selected sync folders in some cases differ....should I coordinate them better first?

Dropboxer

Dropbox will sync the deletion of your Dropbox files/folders from one computer to the cloud and then from the cloud to your other computer. Arrows Counter Clock grinning face  When everything is "Up to date" all your devices should reflect the same. 

So no need to take the action again! Dropbox will sync it for you. 

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 6

"Dropbox will sync the deletion of your Dropbox files/folders from one computer to the cloud and then from the cloud to your other computer.   When everything is "Up to date" all your devices should reflect the same. "

Thank you == OK, as I understand it then deleting on Computer A will delete synced items on DBCloud and then delete, if synced, to Computer B.  If, however, the deleted item on A and in DBCloud is not synced to Computer B [I guess thru Selective Syncing] it's deleted and Computer B, since it doesn't retain a synced copy, isn't affected.

Dropboxer

Yes. slightly smiling face

Fiona

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How to Delete files on Dropbox
5 Replies
1 Like
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post