cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to Share a DropBox Folder with Someone on IOS?

How to Share a DropBox Folder with Someone on IOS?

Matthew S.22
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have a DropBox Professional account, and want to share a folder so people can open it in on iPhone/iPad. They have installed the DropBox app on their devices. I have specified their addresses as shared links in the folder I want to share. I don't see any option inside the DropBox app to receive shared files.

All the information I have seen is how to share from iOS to someone else. I need it to go the other way around,

Can someone point me to instructions for this?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

wrote:

I was able to "share" the folder by sending the link to others.

And this is where we believe the problem is. Sending a link to a folder is not the same as a Shared Folder. A Share Link is a view-only method of sharing. Anyone that adds the content of a Share Link to their Dropbox will be creating their own copy of that content.

A Shard Folder allows you to give others edit access to your files. You need to add members to the folder first, specifying whether they have Edit or View access, and they'll receive an email or a notification within the Dropbox app on their phone.

2018-01-30 08.53.23.png 2018-01-30 08.54.02.png

When they open the Dropbox app and tap the notification, they'll be able to add the shared folder to their own Dropbox, if they have enough room in their account. This copy of the folder is synced with all other members of the share. Any changes they make within it will sync back to everyone else.

Make sure you read through both help articles (linked above) to understand the differences between a Share Link and a Shared Folder.

View solution in original post

17 Replies 17

Rich
Super User II
Go to solution

While a user can open a share link on a mobile device and it will display in the Dropbox app (if installed), there's no where in the app to see a list of items that have been shared via a link. Share links have no tracking and nothing to associate them to a specific account (other than the creator of the link), so there's no way for the app to know what links a user should have.

A shared folder, which is added directly to the account of any member of the share, will display in the Dropbox app along with all the other files and folders that are in a user's account.

If you're sending a share link, they'll need to open it from their email which will open it in the app if  it's installed. If you're inviting them to a shared folder, it will just appear in the app along with all their other folders.

Matthew S.22
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for offering help!

I was asking about sharing the DropBox folder in the other direction. I want to create it in my Professional DropBox account, then allow someone on their iPhone to access just that folder via their iOS DropBox app.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
As long as you add them to the share Matthew, and they accept, it will auto appear on their iOS devices 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Matthew S.22
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Mark,

Thank you again for trying to help!

I shared the folder, using the recipient's Apple ID. But when the recipients log into their devices and open the DropBox app, nothing shows up there. Do you know if there's a different way I am supposed to connect iOS users?

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
Dont use their Apple ID - you need to use the email address they've set up Dropbox with.

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Matthew S.22
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks again for helping!

I must be seriously missing something. I'm trying to make it so people on iOS can access the shared folder via the iPhone DropBox app. If I enter their email address as the share, they get an email link. But it does not work inside the iOS app. That's why I thought hooking the Apple ID was the right way.

Is there a way to link the iOS app with the shared folder?

Matthew S.22
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Thanks for trying to help. So people need to go in through an email link to the shared folder? That might be fine for a first view, but not great for team management.

Looks like there's no clean way to do this yet.

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution
There is - if you do it as we've said.

Reading your last post you have sent a read only shared link ( https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/shared-links ) rather than a shared folder ( https://www.dropbox.com/help/files-folders/shared-or-private-folder )

Jay
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Let us know how you’re sharing the folders so we can provide the most accurate assistance to your query!

Jay
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, give it a Like below to let us know.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Need help with something else? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Find Tips & Tricks Discover more ways to use Dropbox here!
:arrows_counterclockwise: Interested in Community Groups? Click here to join!

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jay Dropbox Staff
    Matthew S.22 Explorer | Level 4
    Rich Super User II
What do Dropbox user levels mean?