cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Dropbox ideas

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

Got an idea for Dropbox? We want to hear it. Our team will review the top voted ideas, so share them here!

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to exclude file extensions

How to exclude file extensions

KP_S
New member | Level 2

How can I exclude file extensions form being synced? I have a mega big temp file (temp database log file) and it slows down my entire laptop.

K

Latest Update
Hannah
Dropbox Staff

This idea has been closed as it has reached the end of the Share an Idea process.

Thank you for your suggestion, and if you have another idea to share, please do!

Status changed to: Closed
38 Comments
Norah
Dropbox Staff

Hi  KP_S, welcome to Dropbox Community!

Excluding file extensions from being synced is currently not possible. I will make sure your comments are passed along to our development team so thank you for this feature request.

Let me know if there’s anything further I can help with!
Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13

tmp and temp files need to be located elsewhere than in your dropbox folder. Do you know which programs create the temporary files, then as the program(s) to put the temp files somewhere else.

Andreas_R
New member | Level 2

While excluding a file is not possible, you can ignore a specific folders, if that helps: https://www.dropbox.com/help/syncing-uploads/selective-sync-overview

SergeyYa
New member | Level 2

Hi I have similar issue with temporary files (with *.tmp extension). In my case these files are creating by Google SketchUp when it saves a project.
There is no way to configure location of these *.tmp files and I have to turn off Dropbox sync before saving of project in sketchup.

vladimirk
Helpful | Level 5

it's been 18 months. This feature could be really useful for me as well. How it's coming along? Any chance we'll ever see it shipped?

Rick_M
Experienced | Level 13
For MAC, the AutoSave file is always saved in your User > Library > Application Support > SketchUp # > SketchUp > Autosave folder

dstgermain
Helpful | Level 5

Hello Norah,

Could you give us a clear status as to whether this feature prioritized in the roadmap / is being considered?

I sync some subfolders to Google Photos and this generates a large amount of temporary .driveupload files. It is impossible to configure these to be generated elsewhere, so they are picked up by dropbox and then deleted once Google Photos is done with them. Dropbox's CPU usage goes up substantially when this occurs. 

It seems like a basic client-side feature to not parse certain files if they have an extension matching a pattern. UI + logic code and testing is probably something that can be done within one sprint or two max. I even don't mind having to replicate this setting on all my clients manually if the issue is that this flag won't sync server side to all clients.

Please let us know.

Thanks,
David

Rich
Super User II

@dstgermain wrote:

Could you give us a clear status as to whether this feature prioritized in the roadmap / is being considered?

Dropbox doesn't provide ETAs or discuss what features may or not be coming. If they plan on adding it, we'll know when it's released.

dstgermain
Helpful | Level 5
That’s an unfortunate way of dealing with feedback. They should follow Atlassian’s example and have public votes on paying user requests / expose when items are prioritized in their roadmap.

Rich
Super User II
Vote for this idea

Like this idea? Vote for it and we will give it the attention it deserves!

10 votes received Status: Closed