Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

Re: How to manually stop sync of a folder, but still retain local copy?

Helpful | Level 5

@Anivalp wrote:

@Fiona, glad that you understand. It seems like Dropbox has made a change to assist people who forget they have unselected folders in selective sync at the expense of people who were using it for well... selectively syncing...as per the name. For many years it didn't do this appending the folder name with '(Selective Sync Conflict)', and actually for @sdevincenzo it still doesn't do this if you look at his screenshots. So I appreciate that maybe it was always meant to do this, but the reality is that it didn't used to do it, so something must have changed. 

Anyway, a really simple solution, that would be really appreciated and shouldn't be too hard to implement (since it seems to still work this way for some people), would be give us some flexibility with an option box in Dropbox settings on our computers that will disable appending the file name with 'Selective Sync Conflict'. When this setting is ticked the 'grey icon' would instead appear when there is a sync conflict (as per @sdevincenzo screenshots) instead of Dropbox taking the unilateral decision to rename our folders for us. This way most users who might forget they unchecked something in selective sync will still get the helpful appending of the folder name, but for those of us that don't want this, and actually do remember what we have selected / unselected in selective sync settings, we can enable this option and therefore have a local folder with the same name and location that does not get synced to the could and does not have its name changed. Could you please see if your developers could enteratin an option box like this in the Dropbox settings? 

@Fiona if there is no way to block Dropbox from renaming the Selective Sync conflicts, is this something you could pass along to your developers as a suggestion to consider adding one to the Dropbox settings? (as per my post above)? 

Helpful | Level 5

@Anivalp  @Fiona 
why is dropbox support so uptight?

It looks like: "guys, i want to help you! I understand your problems, but we must work with what we have!"

Just say to us: "Dear friends, this issue remains unresolved." 
And we will no longer waste our time here...

Dropboxer

Dear Community friends,  

Selective Sync works the same way it always has. I understand you need a feature that ignores the folders you want to add again to some devices, however this cannot be done with Selective Sync. slightly frowning face Selective Sync will find them and rename them to conflicts.

The only workaround I can, is to rename the file/folder added after the original is Selectively Synced. This way you would not get the conflict in the first place. 

Wish I could be more helpful. Thank you all for your feedback. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Highlighted

Selective Sync changed its behavior and gives conflicts now

New member | Level 2

I used before the setup in which I combine git and Dropbox shared folder to collaborate on a project as discussed in https://discuss.ropensci.org/t/peace-between-git-and-dropbox-with-git-worktree/289. In this approach, I have a git-enabled folder somewhere outside the shared folder in Dropbox, and the shared folder becomes a git worktree, that is an additional copy of the project, and usual git operations such as merging are available. To facilitate this, in the shared folder a special .git file is created to denote that the shared folder is under git control.

To ignore the .git file, I used the trick from https://superuser.com/questions/469776/how-to-exclude-files-not-folders-from-dropbox-sync/757498#757... to move the .git file, create a dummy .git folder, ignore it through the Selective Sync, then move the .git file back to the shared folder. This way, my collaborators do not see the .git file at all, and we can collaborate.

Unfortunately, this trick has stopped working. When I ignore the dummy .git folder and replace it with the .git file, I get that file to be renamed to .git (Selective Sync conflict). Moreover, the file is put into the root of the Dropbox folder, not in the shared folder itself.

Is it possible to return the old Dropbox behavior somehow?

I run Dropbox on macOS 10.14.6. Dropbox version is v86.3.130.

Re: Selective Sync changed its behavior and gives conflicts now

Dropboxer

Hey there @Dmitry K.12, I hope you're well today!

So we can have a better look into this and check on some account specific info, I've reached out to your email address associated with your Community profile. Please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we'll go from there if you'd like to.

I'm looking forward to hearing back from you - cheers!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Selective sync suddenly changed its behaviour

Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

I'm a Dropbox user since many years.
I found it very useful to syncronize my Lightroom catalogs to the cloud, while avoiding uploading lot of cache files onto the cloud, using selective sync on specific folders.
When using this feature the excluded folders in selective sync shown a grey circle with a minus icon over it.
Since few days probably an update changed something in the client behaviour.
Now I can't keep the local copy of the folder with all the cache files in it.
As soon as I uncheck the desired folder in selective sync window the folder unchecked simply got deleted by the client.
So now I have just two choice: full sync of the folder both locally and online or just online.
Which is pointless because as soon as the folder is recreated it gets duplicated as selective conflict folder and start to syncronize all the cache files.

If I try to manually recreate the local folder while the selective sync is active I get a selective folder conflict, which makes a duplicate.

Is this actually a normal behaviour for Dropbox?
For me is defeating its purpose in my workflow and could lead to potentially abandon Dropbox as cloud solution.
Please, help me finding a solution, I'd prefer to keep Dropbox as a cloud platform.

Thank you in advance for any help.
Best regards

Andrea

Re: Selective sync suddenly changed its behaviour

Dropboxer

Hello @themash, I hope you're doing well!

I've merged your post here since you seem to be describing the same behaviour. 

I've reached out to you via the email associated with your Community profile, so that we can have a look into some account/device specific info which we don't have access to here.

Please just check your inbox when you have a moment and we can go from there if you'd like to.

Thanks!

Daphne

Helpful | Level 5

No, Selective Sync is not "operating as it always has".

As stated, previously, if you disabled a folder will SS, yes, it would remove the local copy, but if you then placed a folder with the same name there, it would ignore it. Now instead of ignoring it, it renames and then uploads it.

This changed just when installing on a new computer today, indicating to me that this is a change in a rolling out update (which would explain why some people are seeing this and other are not).

I too am using this for Lightroom catalogs, and have the same preview problem. Not only does syncing it eat a lot of unnessasary data, but Dropbox slows down significantly more with the couple hundred thousand extra files it would entail.

While I love Dropbox, the complete dissmissivness of support, and the apparent lack of a solution, makes me think I will need to start looking at alternatives.

Helpful | Level 5

And in fact your own Select Sync Conflict article indicates it should happen the way it used it:

If you then create a new folder called "Taxes" in the same location on your computer, Dropbox won't sync that folder. If you then sync both the original "Taxes" folder in your account and the new "Taxes" folder on your computer, the new one will be appended with the words “selective sync conflict”.

It specificaly says it won't rename it until you try and allow syncing again of that folder, which we are not. We always leave the folder in question disabled in SS.

Re: Selective sync suddenly changed its behaviour

New member | Level 2

I'm also somewhat inconvenienced by this: I'd been excluding some auto-generating/device-specific data folders using this method and now (unless there's another workaround, or the behaviour changes back) I have to choose between quitting dropbox or having it (and my bandwidth) clogged with these device-specific files constantly updating whenever I do a simulation run.

Care to share some more general information about this Daphne?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How to manually stop sync of a folder, but still retain local copy?
76 Replies
20 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey