cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

yes

Re: How to manually stop sync of a folder, but still retain local copy?

New member | Level 2

With the prior behaviour it was possible to move the user's documents folder into dropbox and back things up transparently so that you didn't have to move files around from where most software naturally tries to save/find them, using the workaround described to make exceptions for things like auto-generated or device-specific data files (game files, R-studio workspaces, R libraries, Adobe editions, etc). Those grey-minus workarounds are not possible with the new behaviour, making dropbox much less versitile. This is a problem for many of us who came to rely on that versitility, even if dropbox (and it's forum staff/helpers) didn't realise that was how it was being used.

Explorer | Level 4
I would fire everyone if I were the boss slightly smiling face
I already wrote mails to support, and got answers like Fiona's.

In fairness, tech support at the end answered me:
"I have passed your comments along to the development team."

So, we need to wait and to believe in miracles.

Tip. If you want want use sync now. So you can use:
1) Pcloud( but can't edit files in Mobile app)
2) gdrive + insync.

Helpful | Level 6
Exactly what @emerrill said, even Dropbox’s own article about selective sync says Dropbox won’t sync the replaced folder. This is not the case, it does try to sync the folder, realizes a conflict, renames the folder and then syncs the renamed folder.

Helpful | Level 6
Also @Daphne can you remove the ‘solved status’ of this thread? The solution steps that the solved link takes you to does not work. As many people here have described instead of a grey icon (which we used to get), Dropbox now renames the folder with ‘Selective Sync Conflict’. The solution is therefore outdated / incorrect.

Explorer | Level 3

Definitely not "Solved" Confusing too is that my system never had a problem accomplishing the selective sync "trick" I can do it at will and DB ignores the file and puts the checkbox there. Hope you guys find a solution......

Screen Shot 2019-11-22 at 11.45.29 AM.png

Re: selective sync conflict suddenly appeared on all root folders BUG

Explorer | Level 4

It's very ease to reproduce. I have a test folder with two folders, one that should be synced and one that should be ignored (that I only want locally, not in the cloud):

Then I deselect "Should be ignored" in selective sync:

The folder is then deleted locally. When I try to create the same folder again, it's instantly moved to the root folder of Dropbox and then synced with the cloud:

I don't understand why this happens. It's clearly a bug in Dropbox that should be fixed.

In the meantime I have found a workaround by altering the user permissions of the folder that should be ignored. Be denying Dropbox to write properties of the folder, it won't be moved and will just be ignored. However, this works only in Windows, not on a Mac.

Is there a better way to prevent this behaviour or is the Dropbox team already working on a bug fix?

Explorer | Level 3

@Fiona RE: I can use your Community profile address to contact you via email.

Might be more productive to publish anything helpful on the forum please !

Highlighted

Dropboxer

Hey all, just have a little update for you!

We're working on a feature to allow you to ignore local folders from syncing with your Dropbox account. 

This is currently in beta, so while this isn't available to all users at the moment, we're working very hard to roll this out to more in the future.

The new feature would remove the need for you to use the Selective Sync work around that you're currently using. You can check out some more info from our new Help Center article here, along with the steps to use this.

Let me know if you have any questions about this - thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Star Collaborator | Level 19

Wow... @Daphne, Congratulations! winking face

It was dead time. Fine as a beginning, I understand that convenient graphical tool will follow next, but still could be added some improvement as idea. Imagine if you have lot of files to ignore in different places in some big project!!... nightmare!!! In such a situation a template for mapping such files or some regular expression support would be very helpful (type ones something and all matching files/folders get affected). winking face

Hope this will improve the feature.

PS: Don't rely only on attributes, but also on settings - would be much more automated.

Helpful | Level 6

Wow, this is exactly what I was hoping for! I'm so happy that it is available, you just have to be comfortable with the command line - which I am.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How to manually stop sync of a folder, but still retain local copy?
104 Replies
61 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey