Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

no

Highlighted

How to prevent Dropbox from saving different versions of files rather than replace?

Explorer | Level 3

A few days ago Dropbox started renaming documents by version when I save a document by adding (1), (2), etc.  I don't want this!  I want it to replace the old with the new document the way it always has.  When I want to save different versions, I just name them myself.

The posted solution is to go to settings, file settings, set dropbox options, overwrite actions, replace existing files.  But I can't find file settings when I open settings!  

I appreciate your help!

Tags (1)
12 Replies

Re: How to prevent Dropbox from saving different versions of files rather than replace?

Dropboxer
Hey @Disillusion, that's a great question; I’d happily further advise on how you could bypass that! 

Now, the best way to do that would be following-up on your established workflow & see how to prevent that from re-occurring in the future. While we’ve already discussed some possible causes of this behavior under this conversation, it would be worth mentioning that you’re probably hitting this discrepancy because we’re not allowed to overwrite the initial copy of the file that’s already stored within the Dropbox folder. Incidentally, would you mind sending me the resource you’ve referenced for the steps you’ve posted us here in your initial message?

If it’s not too much trouble for you, I'd also appreciate it if you could you clarify the following for me: 

More information
  • Are you seeing this happening on your desktop, on your mobile or while you’re working on the web Dropbox version? 
  • Do you by chance have an issue with that when you’re saving from third-party apps to Dropbox? 
  • If so, what’s the name of the application & does that happen with more than one file types? 
  • Does that happen for a file or a folder? Also, please let me know if you're seeing that frequently & with multiple apps. 
Once you get back in touch with me with specifics, I’ll try to focus on that a bit closer. Thanks in advance!

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: How to prevent Dropbox from saving different versions of files rather than replace?

Explorer | Level 3

This same thing appears to be happening to me. I save files to Dropbox on my MAC but when viewing them on my Ipad Pro, there are additional versions showing up with an increasing number (1,2,3, etc) after the file name.

The original file is not being updated.

It is now clear to me when this started to happen but when I setup the system (purchase my Ipad and downloaded Dropbox) about 5 months ago, everything was working perfectly.

Please advise.

Thanks, C Leong

Dropboxer
Hey @Chuckleong, thanks for poking us here with this report; have you by any chance monitored the behavior, so as to see if there’s a pattern? Does that pertain to files saved to Dropbox through a third-party application by any chance? 

If you could include a screenshot showing me the duplicate file names (omitting personal info please), that would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again! 

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Jane,

I think you've hit on what has started happening. I download songs from a file labelled "ukulele" on my MAC to Dropbox. Then go to my IPAD where I move the songs in to Onsong by going to the Dropbox account on the IPAD.  On the Ipad I had 5 files labeled ukulele and an added identifier so each file was different. 

They were:

ukulele songs     312

ukulele songs (1) 315

ukulele songs (2) 320

ukulele songs (3) 326

ukulele songs (4) 324

Then I went to my MAC and downloaded the files again to Dropbox, returned to the Ipad and found another file added:

It was ukulele songs (5) 324. I guess there no new songs added.

There must be some command which does not allow overwriting on the Ipad Dropbox. 

I do have a screenshot but I guess cannot attach it until signing in. I want to send this note first and send the screenshot later...don't want to lose this note.

Thanks, Chuck 

Explorer | Level 3

Jane, 

Attahced is a screenshot of the Dropbox file list on my Ipad. The initial download is done on my MAC

Thanks, Chuck

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane,

Sorry again for the delay.  I am now back at my computer.   As I wrote, all of a sudden Dropbox is saving all versions, numbering them (1), (2) etc. This happens on all my devices (Mac desktop, laptop, iPhone and iPad) and when using both the Dropbox application as well as web version.  Mainly I am using Microsoft Word and Excel documents. 

I would like to be able to control this myself rather than having it automated.  I used to be able to "save" and that would override the previous version.  If I wanted multiple versions, I "saved as" and gave each a new name.  

I'm attaching the instructions that didn't work.

Thank you.Screen Shot 2019-08-14 at 2.53.30 PM.pngScreen Shot 2019-08-14 at 2.53.30 PM.png

Explorer | Level 3

Here's the screenshot

Dropboxer
Thank you so much for all these additional details @Chuckleong & @Disillusion & for your ongoing cooperation; let me address your follow-up questions & see if we can improve this moving forward. 

Starting off from your explanation @Chuckleong, it looks like the issue is primarily located when you’re editing the files through the third-party app you mentioned on your iPad. Has this been a recent occurrence or have you always kept this naming convention by any chance? If I were in your shoes, I’d start off making sure that I haven’t missed the latest Dropbox mobile app update (154.2) & I’m working on the latest iOS version. If you could cross-check that this is the case for the third-party app, that would also be great. 

Following, could you have a second look & see if you can re-create the behavior on a newly created file after following the steps above for me? Please keep me posted on the outcome!

On the other hand @Disillusion, can you let me know of the third-party application you’re using to save your spreadsheets & docs back to Dropbox? I’m asking for this extra piece of info, as from what I could tell from the screenshot you’ve sent us, these steps are taken from an external resource.

If possible, could you try saving your files in Dropbox using the Microsoft Office Suite integration & see if you’re getting the same behavior? 

Please let me know how you get on with my advice or if I’ve missed anything along the way & I’ll do my best to check back with you soon. Thanks!

Jane

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Jane,

I'm afraid I've reached the limits of my technical grasp of the problem.  I don't know what you mean by the third party application that I use for saving documents and spread sheets.  I thought it was just Word for Mac and Excel, so that would mean that I'm already using Microsoft Office Suite (for Mac).  Could you explain and I'll look?  

As for the answer I attached from my search for a solution, it has no relationship to any third party app that I use, at least as far as I know.  I just found it using google.  It was the only thing that came close.  But, as you know, it didn't match.  

Thank you!

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How to prevent Dropbox from saving different versions of files rather than replace?
12 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post