cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

View, download, and export

Need support with viewing, downloading, and exporting files and folders from your Dropbox account? Find help from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to prevent download option from dropbox video player?

How to prevent download option from dropbox video player?

alexkaplanphoto
Explorer | Level 3

I use share links of videos to put on my website and I change the end paramters to "raw=1" to make this happen. All is fine except for the fact that anyone can click the 3 dots and download the video. Is there any option to disable this? This is what I'm talking about: [External link removed to allign with our Community guidelines]

I tried the option to disable downloads in link settings but then the video does not play at all.

6 Replies 6

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

Hello @alexkaplanphoto

Thanks for sharing your user case. :slight_smile:

Downloads can be disabled for a shared link on dropbox.com or on the Dropbox mobile app, if you are on a Professional or Business Dropbox subscription. Please find all the information for shared link permissions here

Hope this helps. Feel free to ask more questions! 

Have a nice week. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

alexkaplanphoto
Explorer | Level 3

When I disable downloads, the embedded dropbox video will no longer play

Fiona
Dropbox Staff

This could be a browser issue. Permissions should not affect previewing. 

Please try accessing the link from an incognito window or another browser and let me know if previewing is still an issue. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Hi @alexkaplanphoto,

In fact, when you change the ending parameters to "raw=1", you have almost formed a download links! :wink: The only difference is missing "content-disposition" in http header. If you embed a link with attribute "download", pointing to your video, it become download link. That's why when you disable downloads, video becomes completely inaccessible (including for play in your site). It still left accessible through the "dl=0" link, but only difference is a disabled download button! There is no secure way to completely prevent downloads. If somebody can see the video on your site, there is always a way to download it. Only thing you can do is to make it difficult, that's it. Dropbox don't provide actual instrumentation to make this secure enough, so be difficult to somebody more experienced than a small child (that isn't a main purpose for this service). In the page describing download disabling is noted:

Important note: Disabling downloads for a shared link prevents people from downloading the contents of a link through Dropbox. This doesn’t prevent people from saving the content using other methods.

That's why if you really want to "disable" downloads, have to use some server script (or similar techniques) for "reformatting" the stream in some way and make a download difficult enough. Your decision/solution should depends on target difficility. :wink:

Hope this gives some direction.

alexkaplanphoto
Explorer | Level 3

Thanks for the reply. I realize anyone can download my video if they really want to. But most people looking at wedding videos won't even bother/want to use external methods to download a video. I just don't like the fact on how obvious Dropbox can notify viewers how easy anyone can just directly download the video. It would be nice like on how Google Drive I can embed videos and there is no direct option to download the video.

Здравко
Legendary | Level 20

Ooohh... If the problems are default browser player options, they could be disabled using different approaches. Overflow the player with a <div> tag, for example, and redirect clicks alternatively to play and pause. :wink: No very powerful but simple solution. You can use HTML like following (as idea):

<div>
  <div style="width: 320px;height: 240px;position: absolute;"
          onclick="a=this.nextSibling; if(a.paused) a.play(); else a.pause()"/>
  <video width="320" height="240">
    <source src="<raw link to the clip>" type="video/mp4">
    Your browser does not support the video tag.
  </video>
</div>

Unfortunately Dropbox don't allow their player embedding. Would be more convenient (and secure, if the above is used as a compare base), but... :slight_frown:

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Здравко Legendary | Level 20
    alexkaplanphoto Explorer | Level 3
    Fiona Dropbox Staff
What do Dropbox user levels mean?