Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

How to re-sync folder that was excluded through selective sync?

Explorer | Level 4

I am working in a project folder that I have conveniently put on Dropbox, so that it is backed up. But the data subfolder the data folder is rather large and I had that subfolder excluded through selective sync. 

Now that I have made the folder smaller, I would like to sync it again. The problem is that it does not show up in the selective sync selector anymore. 

How can I get my data folder to sync again?

7 Replies

Re: How to re-sync folder that was excluded through selective sync?

Dropboxer
Hey there @mightymauz

Could you please confirm for me if you see an option to expand the folder path from the selective sync settings? Could you also send me a screenshot (omitting personal info) of your settings so that I have a better visual of your concern?

Thanks in advance!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 4

Yes of course!

selectivesync.png

There should be a folder "data" in Energy, but there is not. It does exist on my hard drive. And Windows Explorer shows a not-syncing icon:

windowsexplorer.png

I should probably mention that after unselecting it from selective sync, I also deleted the folder on dropbox.com, to save space. So maybe that interfered.

Dropboxer
Thanks for the additional info and the screenshots, they definitely provide a better understanding of what you’re seeing.

Please note though that, for security and privacy purposes though, I’ve removed some personal info included in your attached images. 

Moving on to your concern though, at first, I want to mention that the gray icon with the minus may appear on a folder when you're using the selective sync feature. Although folders that you’ve chosen to not sync to your computer shouldn’t appear, if you create two folders with the same name, the gray icon will appear, indicating that one of the files isn’t being synced.

However, you mention that:

@mightymauz wrote:

after unselecting it from selective sync, I also deleted the folder on dropbox.com, to save space. So maybe that interfered.

Yes, since you deleted the folder from the website, the folder technically doesn’t exist in your account anymore, which means that it’s removed from being synced to other connected devices. This would explain why you don’t see it as an option to sync back to your computer too. 

For this reason, if I were in your shoes, these are the steps I’d take:
  • Remove the “data” folder from the Dropbox folder or, if you want to feel a bit more reassured, move the “data” folder out of the Dropbox folder to another location on your hard drive.
  • Restore the “data” folder from the website as outlined in this article.
  • Check if the folder is automatically syncing back to the Dropbox folder or, if it now appears in your selective sync settings, make sure it is ticked. 
Let me know how it goes, @mightymauz!

Lusil

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 4

Thank you very much for your help. 

It seems that I have removed the files more than 30 days ago (that could be about right), because I can't find them among the deleted files. Do you have any other suggestions?

Super User II

Just move the folder out of Dropbox, make sure that the Dropbox client says Up-to-date when you hover your cursor over it, then move the folder back into Dropbox.

Does the "not syncing" overylay reappar on the folder?

Explorer | Level 4

I have moved out the data folder, waited a couple of minutes and copied it back in, but it still shows the "stop" icon.

Dropboxer
Hey again @mightymauz,

In order to have a more in-depth investigation of what you’re seeing, I’ve followed up with a ticket to the email address associated with your Community profile. 

When you have the chance, please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. 

Cheers!

Lusil

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How to re-sync folder that was excluded through selective sync?
7 Replies
1 Like
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post