cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to tell which files are being copied

How to tell which files are being copied

Rick A.2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

I have been following various "slow sync" threads, given that I am in the middle of a four-day sync of just six files. This is the first time in nearly five years that DropBox has grinded to a halt like this, and the various threads speak of checking for weird filenames and other perfectly reasonable approaches to take.

But this raises an additional question for me: how does one know which files DropBox is trying to sync?

At least on Windows, the app sports a pretty meager interface. I know which files have already been synced from the Recent tab and I get a basic idea of its current activity from the "Syncing X Files" message and the accompanying progress bar. But nowhere can I find the name of the file that DB is actively trying to sync.

That seems like important information! What am I missing...?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Rick A.2, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you, I'll just need a bit more info, such as:

• What do the syncing icons show on your Dropbox folder? Can you see any with the blue icon and the spinning arrows?
  • Could you also send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock shows when you hover over it?
  • Is the Dropbox folder located on an internal/supported location? You can check this from your desktop app's settings. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @Rick A.2, thanks for reaching out to us about this. 

I'd be more than happy to help look into this with you, I'll just need a bit more info, such as:

• What do the syncing icons show on your Dropbox folder? Can you see any with the blue icon and the spinning arrows?
  • Could you also send me a screenshot (without any personal info) of what the Dropbox icon that's next to your computer's clock shows when you hover over it?
  • Is the Dropbox folder located on an internal/supported location? You can check this from your desktop app's settings. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Rick A.2
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Lusil, your questions were telling. I use an alternate file manager (Total Commander) so I rarely set foot inside the Windows File Manager. To address your question, I opened a file window into DropBox and, perhaps for the first time, made note of the icons. Sure enough, there was a small log file with the blue syncing icon -- it seemed to be stuck in a feedback loop, endlessly updating itself and never being fully synced.

As soon as I ditched that useless file, my hard drive quieted down and DropBox reported itself to be up to date. Many thanks for that.

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Thanks for your swift reply, @Rick A.2 - glad to hear that you were able to resolve this!

If anything else pops up, you know where to find us. 

In the meantime, have a lovely day ahead!

Lusil
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Lusil Dropbox Staff
    Rick A.2 Explorer | Level 4
What do Dropbox user levels mean?