Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

How to update large folders if they are online only

Helpful | Level 6

How can I update extensive directories without having to keep them offline?  I have library directories on my computer that  I have synced to dropbox, and as of now these redundant/synced directories have taken up space I want to free up.  How do I update the new files if they are all online?

I one-way sync them from my computer to dropbox.  Since they are extensive directories they have a ton of files and folders that change everytime I sync them (about three times a week).  How does the ones in Dropbox change if they are all online only?  Do I need to download them to my computer then sync, then make them online only?

2 Replies

Re: How to update large folders if they are online only

Super User II

Yes, I'm afraid to edit or change them they will need to be downloaded by Dropbox, edited by you and then you will need to go to the directories again and re-set them to online only.

PenguinPenguin - Penguin - Penguin - Penguin

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Arrows Counter Clock Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

Re: How to update large folders if they are online only

Helpful | Level 6

I figured that.  I guess it isn't too difficult as I am only dealing with one or two massive directories that change daily.  I do have a lot of other large directories, but their metadata and contents don't change that much, and I only need to sync them a few times a month.  Being able to keep them online, but still see what they have is very useful for searching.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How to update large folders if they are online only
2 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post