cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to upload new version of existing file?

How to upload new version of existing file?

CNB
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, I have three media files in a folder in Dropbox. The link were shared publicly. I found and error and would like to upload a new version, so the link remains the same. As I do not know who saved the existing file, I do not want to upload another file, I would like to upload a newer version that replaces the existing file. 

Is that possible?

Cheers

CNB

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Yes, simply replacing the file with an identically named one will update the file for you without altering the link 🙂

:penguin::penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin: - :penguin:

Heart Did this post help you? If so please mark it for some Kudos below. 

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

View solution in original post

8 Replies 8

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

Yes, simply replacing the file with an identically named one will update the file for you without altering the link 🙂

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

:arrows_counterclockwise: Did this post not resolve your issue? If so please give us some more information so we can try and help - please remember we cannot see over your shoulder so be as descriptive as possible! 

CNB
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi, 

thank you for your reply, however, I do not yet understand how it works.

How do I do it? How does replacement take place? I do not see an upload button. If I drag and drop another file with the exact name into dropbox, I get two files?

What - step by step - do I have to do so that my new data can be found with the existing link?

Cheers

CNB

Mark
Super User II
Go to solution

If you upload via the website it should just replace the existing file. 

I use Dropbox on my computer and just file -> save as or drag and drop the file to replace it and all is good.

fcbcfv
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi, I did the same and expected the link to remain the same. However, the share url link changed even the same filename was used.  I tried on two files.  One worked but one didn't.   Can you tell me how the link is generated?  It does not look like purely based on the filename.  Thanks.

CNB
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hi,

thanks, at least now I know how it is supposed to work 🙂

I created link via the "Share" "create link" "copy link" option. 

I tried once and it worked. 

Cheers

Corinna

jandudzik
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hey, I tried to drop file with the same name to the Dropxbox folder and it asks me if I want to change the file to the new one (like any digital system would ask) but then the link changes as well and I get 404 error. How can I keep existing link but just change the file?

Lusil
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution

Hey @jandudzik, thanks for nudging us on this thread! I'd be more than happy to help. 

As a first step, to make sure that we cover most initial ground, could you try replacing the file in question via the website? 

Let me know the results. Thanks!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question!
:pushpin: Tips & Tricks Find new ways to stay in flow or share your tips on how you work smarter with Dropbox.

Jimmy-d
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

I had the same problem - on my mac I added a new version of a file using Finder, but the share link deleted.  When I looked in version history on dropbox It actually says it first deleted the original file and created a new version.  

Solution!  Using the Dropbox web interface I dragged in a new file and the share link was preserved.  When I look in version history I can see another version was added, without 'deleting' the previous version of the document with the same name.

Lucikly there's a workaround for this, I guess Dropbox needs to add this onto a list of future features because I only work with documents out of Finder, rarely out of the dropbox.com website.

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jimmy-d New member | Level 2
    Lusil Dropbox Staff
    jandudzik New member | Level 2
    CNB Explorer | Level 4
    fcbcfv New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?