Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

How to view backup Onsong zip files in Dropbox

New member | Level 2

I am new to Dropbox and I am having issues with finding out how to view my Onsong zip files in Dropbox.  I am able to backup my Onsong files to a folder I made in Dropbox called " Onsong Backup", however when I go to that folder and click on the zip file it downloads but then says I do not have the proper file viewer to view the files. So, what am I doing wrong? Does anyone know what viewer I should be using?  I would like to view the backup files to make sure everything is formatted properly incase those backup files are needed someday.  Can anyone help me?

5 Replies

Re: How to view backup Onsong zip files in Dropbox

Dropboxer

Hey there @Jaws1,

As you mentioned that this is a zip file, after downloading it did you unzip the folder? You should have a default application on your computer that will enable you to do this so you can do a quick web search on the steps depending on your computer's OS. Typically, you can right click the file/folder and you should see the options from there.

Otherwise, can you just clarify for me if you are viewing/downloading the back up folder via the website? If so, are you able to preview the files while viewing them on the website?

Let me know what you find - Thanks!

Daphne
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! 

New member | Level 2

Daphne, I have the Dropbox App on both a Windows 10 and my IPad running 12. Something. When I click the backup file in Dropbox it appears to download however it then says I do not have the correct viewer to view the unzipped files. Again the files are from my Onsong backup. Any idea what the correct viewer would be? Thanks

Dropboxer

Hey @Jaws1,

You'll need to check the file type of what you're trying to view, which you can recognise from the file extension, for example .pdf or .docx. I'd recommend doing a quick web search for an app that will allow you to view that specific file type.

Some other users here on the Community might also be able to recommend what you can use too.

I hope that helps - Thanks!

Daphne

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

New member | Level 2

Daphne,  thank you for your time and effort. My brain finally kicked in and I went looking to see if I had an App on my computer to zip and unzip files. Low and behold I did not! I quickly remedied that issue and now when I use that zip/unzip program I am able to view my Onsong back up files. I quess I just assumed I already had one.  Never assume anything! Anyway my problem is solved. Thank you for your help.  Jaws

Dropboxer

I'm glad to hear that @Jaws1!

If you need anything else then you know where to find us. grinning face with smiling eyes

Have a great day - Thanks!

Daphne

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

How to view backup Onsong zip files in Dropbox
5 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post