Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

I am having a syncing issue. Can you help me?

Explorer | Level 3

About 3 days ago my dropbox folder on my desktop (from my D drive) went missing for some unknown reason. I installed dropbox again so I could sync all my files from the cloud to my computer. I now find that dropbox is syncing back to my SSD (C Drive) but this has very limited space and is close to full.

After examining my D drive I have found all my original folders and files but these are no longer being synced.

I know how to move the D drive dropbox to my desktop (through the dropbox settings and preferences) but that might cause an issue with the dropbox that is currently being syncd

My question is how do I now move drop box between drives now that there is a drop box in each?

6 Replies

Re: Syncing Issues

Dropboxer

Hey there @Peter25 - how are you today?

When you wish to re-install the Dropbox software and you do not want to re-download all of your files from the server, you need to choose the "Advanced" setup option during the installation process. Then you need to choose the parent folder of the existing Dropbox folder as the location for this new install.

For example, if your old Dropbox folder was added to: D:\Desktop\Dropbox you would need to choose D:\Desktop and the client will try and create a new Dropbox folder. If you're connecting with the same Dropbox account as before, Dropbox will detect the existing folder and will then prompt you to merge the Dropbox folder. Upon merging the desktop version of Dropbox will check the existing files and the server versions and update accordingly.

Just note that any changes made to the files in the Dropbox folder or on the web interface while the folder was "offline" will generate conflicted copies.

You can do this now by pausing the sync and moving your Dropbox folder to your desired location.

Keep me posted on your progress and I'll make sure to check back with you should you need further assistance.

Thanks!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter and thank you for getting back to me.

The issue is that I now have 2 complete sets of Dropbox on my computer ( C Drive now syncing and D Drive that is not syncing) but unfortunately the Dropbox and my complete files that I want is on the D Drive (which has lots of storage space available)

The Drop box that I recently installed (by accident) and is syncing to the cloud is on my C drive and that now has very little space left.

I would prefer to only have on my D Drive

Q. How can I reverse this so I am syncing to my D Drive (I would prefer to delete all of the dropbox and files from my limited space on C drive

Hope I have explained myself 

Many Thanks

Peter 

Dropboxer

All you have to do is unlink and re-link pointing your exisiting Dropbox folder (the one in your external drive - the "D" one) then @Peter25!

If you find any troubles with this, please let me know and we'll take it from there if needed Peter. 

Thanks in advance for your reply and happy Monday!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter

I unlinked my computer from Dropbox.com and then it asked me to signin again to start dropbox.

It said that I did not have enough room on my computer (I am assuming it meant the C Drive as D drive has nearly 2 TBs) to install my files so I clicked the cancel button but then it started to sync all my files again (from scratch) but did not give me the option of pointing to any other drives?

So I just quickly stopped the syncing

Please help

All my files are still on my C & D drives and also in the Cloud on Drop Box -I just cannot seem to poit to the D Drive-

What am I missing?

Thanks

Explorer | Level 3

Hi Walter,

Problem solved I think!

I unlinked my computer in DropBox.com then wnet into dropbox preferences and moved my dropbox folder location to the D drive where I wanted it

Now all is syncing to the D Drive and my C drive has much more space

All good and thanks for al of your help

Peter

Dropboxer

Thanks for letting me know Peter - glad to hear you're up and running now!

If you ever come up with a Dropbox question, you know where to find us winking face

In the meantime, have a lovely day @Peter25!

Walter

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I am having a syncing issue. Can you help me?
6 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post