Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

I am trying to selectively sync on a windows 10 laptop.

Level 2

I would like to unsync certain files but have them remain on dropbox.com site and on other devices where they might be downloaded. I do not see the selective sync button for that. 

7 Replies

Re: I am trying to selectively sync on a windows 10 laptop.

Dropboxer
Hey @selectincorp, you can have a look at the steps outlined below whenever you get a chance to change these settings on your pc: 

1. Click the Dropbox icon from your system tray
  1. Click the gear icon, and then select Preferences from the menu.
  1. Click Sync Arrows Counter Clock.
  1. Click Selective Sync (Windows). 
  1. A window will appear with a list of all the main folders in your Dropbox folder: (Note: The folders with a check ☑️ next to them are synced to your computer.) 
  2. Check again the folders that you’ll need to sync to your computer's hard drive. (Note: Folders that remain unchecked will be removed from your hard drive, but will still be available on dropbox.com and on any other computers linked to your Dropbox account.) 
  1. When you're done, select OK.

In case you can’t follow the steps listed above or you’re seeing something different on your end, please do let me know on this discussion & I’ll try to follow-up with you a bit more closely. Thanks again for reaching out to us on the Dropbox Community!  

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

This is the procedure I find posted repeatedly to activate selective sync. My problem is, when I click on the Dropbox Icon it opens the Dropbox folder, but there is no "gear" icon anywhere to be found.  I tried updating the app (Windows 10) successfully, but still no gear icon or any sort of preference or settings tab.  The settings tab on the website for my account has no selective sync option either.  A real mystery. 

Super User II

@lostinanart wrote:

My problem is, when I click on the Dropbox Icon it opens the Dropbox folder, but there is no "gear" icon anywhere to be found.

You're likely clicking the wrong icon.

It's the Dropbox icon in your system tray (near your clock) that you want to single-click. That will open the Dropbox app, not your Dropbox folder. If you click the Dropbox icon on your desktop you'll get the folder. Also, older versions of the Dropbox app would also open the folder if you double-clicked the system tray icon.

Level 4

Thanks !

Level 2

I have same problem. Can't get around it. Have single-clicked on Dropbox icon (near clock, bottom right of screen) but no gear icon anywhere. Help! 

Highlighted

Super User II

@MurphyDog1 wrote:

Have single-clicked on Dropbox icon (near clock, bottom right of screen) but no gear icon anywhere. Help! 

The interface has changed a bit since this thread was created. The icon you're looking for is in the upper-right corner. It's your account photo now, if you've set one.

You can also CTRL-left click the Dropbox icon (again, in the system tray by your clock) to get the legacy menu, and select Preferences.

Level 2

Thank you! Solved! Much appreciated.

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I am trying to selectively sync on a windows 10 laptop.
7 Replies
4 Likes
Solved! : See solution