cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Discover new ways to use Dropbox or share your tips with other users like you. Get involved

no

I can see a .dropbox.device file in one of my shared folders. Any ideas?

New member | Level 2

In one of my shared dropbox files there is a file shown as .dropbox.device. I can't open it and I'm trying to find out if it has any use. Does anyone know how this was created and what it does? 

3 Replies

Re: Dropbox device

Dropboxer

Hi @GM-assistant - welcome to our Community!

From what I gather, you're seeing a file called .dropbox.device within one of your shared folders - am I on the right track here?

If that's not the case, please elaborate on this and I'll be happy to look into it for you!

Also, could you forward me a screenshot of how this looks like on your end and any info you can find about it within your account's events page as this is the place where all adds, edits and deletes are normally logged? 

Thanks so much! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

Hi Walter

I can only provide a screenshot. The file was uploaded a while ago so there is no information on the events page. 

Thanks for the help

Screen Shot 2020-01-24 at 11.12.03 AM.png

Dropboxer

Thanks for the screenshot @GM-assistant!

So from what it looks like this file was last modified by an account (perhaps a member of this shared folder) that's named as 'Vault Manager'. Maybe this is the person who originally uploaded the file in question in this folder as well?

Have you checked with them to see if that's the case? 

I'd also suggest checking this thread from 2016 out as I think it could be related to what you're seeing and it might help shed some additional light here. 

In any case, please keep me posted! 

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi there,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I can see a .dropbox.device file in one of my shared folders. Any ideas?
3 Replies
0 Likes
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post