Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Re: "Open With" option not showing on any devices.

Dropboxer

Thanks for the additional info Ollie - I appreciate it. 

Now, as I'd like to get a concrete view of the matter at hand could you let me know which file types (extensions and sizes will help too) are giving you this problem?

I'm not sure if you use the desktop application but if you do, can you let me know if it shows 'Up to date' or if it's still syncing? 

Feel free to include any information you think might help our investigation in your next response. Thank you!

Walter
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Re: Not seeing Open button at ods file others work

Explorer | Level 4

Hi Walter,

Did you notice that there is one common thing in the problem descriptions.

Namely that it worked earlier. It means that a few days ago we were able to open the ods spredsheets or excel online without problem. We do not want to blame you or having reason why it does not work. It is not a solution that it sholuld not have worked before.

So I just reverse the problem: How is it possible that I could open those files earlier?

But still, no solution.

Thanx

Update: I found one solution. Download the file, rename it to xlsx format upload and works.

What is different: there is a new option when I try to open with: google sheets. It had not been there a few days ago for me.

I know that is not too elegant but worked.

Thanks to everybody 

Re: excel on line is not displayed as an option

Explorer | Level 3

Walter

I realised the problem appeared yesterday at work an at home. The "open with excel on line" option is not displayed. I tried 3 diffrent browsers and the incognito option as you suggested. Nothing worked.

Dropboxer

Hey people, 

I just wanted to let you all know that our team are aware and currently working on it.

Thank you all for bringing this under our attention and I'll make sure to post an update once this is resolved. 

Have a great day and thanks for your patience and cooperation!

Walter

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Helpful | Level 6

We are a small charity running a community canal boat. We use a dropbox team folder for our booking sheet and crewing arrangements. We cannot open files with excel on line, just keep getting error 404, can't find the file. Please help us to solve this one as we need to be able to edit.

Helpful | Level 6

Things are going from bad to worse. Having shared our booking sheet when the link is clicked in the emails the error 404 is displaed. When will these problems be solved?

New member | Level 2

Hi, just wanted to add on to the discussion that this isn't native to Mac users but Windows users too. I have a team folder with .docx and .xlsx files stored inside. These files were previously able to be opened by all team members on their browsers (Edge, Chrome & Firefox) using the MSWord/MSExcel online. But as of last week, once this option is clicked it throws up the Error 500 page. 

Microsoft Office online not working for me at all? Both word and excel

New member | Level 2

Hey Dropbox Fam, so for the last couple of days I cannot access any documents in my dropbox that are microsoft, I can see that they are there and everything looks normal until I click on 'Open with..Microsoft Excel Online' and then i get the 500 error message. My only option at the moment is to download everything and reupload which is the worst!

Can someone please fix this bug or share an update on why this error is happening over multiple days? Thanks! 

Screen Shot 2019-06-20 at 6.42.08 pm.png

Re: Microsoft Office online not working for me at all? Both word and excel

Dropboxer
Hey @megcollins181, let me submit that for review to a higher-level technician. To get going with that, I’ve sent you a brief message on the email address connected to your Community profile. 

Whenever you have some spare time, please have a look at your inbox for my message & I’ll make sure to promptly follow-up with you asap. Thanks & I’ll be awaiting your next reply!

Jane

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Re: Microsoft Office online not working for me at all? Both word and excel

Helpful | Level 6

Strange, I am now getting Error 500, not Error 404. When will this be fixed?

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I can't edit a file with Microsoft Office Online, as I'm hitting a 404 error.
22 Replies
8 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post