Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

no

Highlighted

I can't open my online-only files

New member | Level 2

Dropbox Icon.pngI cannot open files when I try to access them through the Dropbox folder on my computer. My team uses online files to save harddrive space so I know they need to be downloaded. The attached picture shows the green icon with the file that I can open and the gray icon on files I cannot open. The gray icon is a circle with a white triangle in it not a line like you would see with a selective sync issue.

I tried going to another device with the same Dropbox account and I have no problem opening any files. How do I get this figured out so I can start accessing my files again.

3 Replies

Re: I can't open my online-only files

Dropboxer

Hi there @jimblobf

Let's see what we can find!

At first, could you please check if you're able to open and turn the files local by:

• Right-clicking on an online-only file. 
  • Selecting Smart Sync from the options in your drop-down menu. 
  • Clicking on local. 

Let me know what you find!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

New member | Level 2

I did that and it turned the icon to the green checkmark but it will sill not open. I get the ring going around by my pointer but nothing ever happens.

Dropboxer

Thanks for getting back to me on this, @jimblobf

I'm glad we were able to resolve part of the issue at hand - let's see what we can do for the other one. 

Initially, could you try rebooting your device? Maybe refreshing your computer's settings will do the trick. 

If not, could you confirm for me what the Dropbox icon reads when you hover over it in your system tray or menu bar?

Let me how it goes!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I can't open my online-only files
3 Replies
0 Likes
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post