cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

I can't open the files on some folders but can online

I-A New member | Level 2
New member | Level 2

I can't open the the files on some of my folders but when I try it online, it opens. Also, when i move the folder to my PC desktop, the files open. Please see the error it gives when i try opening the folder from my dropbox desktop version

"we couldn't open that file. Rename the file to use a shorter name or copy it to a different folder with a shorter path"

"sorry we couldn't find C.....Is it possible it was moved, renamed or deleted?"

Please what can be done to resolve this?

Thank you

1 Reply

Re: I can't open the files on some folders but can online

Dropboxer

Thanks you for reaching out about this @I-A

What you are experiencing is a limitation of the apps that you are using to open the files. The error occurs when there are more than 255 characters in the entire file path and the app cannot go that deep and follow this path in Dropbox. 

Our desktop app can read and write to locations that are longer than 255 characters, so the files will sync to and from those locations, however, the applications used to open or save said files (e.g. Word, Notepad, Excel, Etc.) might not support reading from there. unamused face

White check mark Workaround to have this working for you without changing anything: Open/edit the files on Dropbox.com with the Open with button if possible. 

tools Solution: Rename the folder names or move the file in an upper level of your structure, to shorten the folder path and help the third party app locate this file. 

Note pushpin Renaming a folder will cause syncing for all the files in it because it changes the name of the folder in the path for all the files under this folder. 

I'd be more than happy to clarify this further, so comment back with all your questions. 

Let me how you chose to solve this. 

Thank you!

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I can't open the files on some folders but can online
1 Reply
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Looking for Dropbox Paper users
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post