Announcements
Do you have an idea for Dropbox Paper? Share it with us here!

yes

I can't save a large excel file in Dropbox

Explorer | Level 3

I have a large excel data spreadsheet, and I recently added into new data. The new data was able to save, but recently I found out that I can't save any additional changes. These are the symptoms:

• If I save the file without any changes (i.e. I open the excel file, then push save without doign anything), it lags for 5 seconds, then saves
  • If I make any changes (even writing one word in a cell), then push save, I get an excel error saying it cannot save

I believe this is a Dropbox issue, not an excel one. I am able to:

1. Save the file onto my local drive with no issues
  2. Save it onto the local drive, then move it to the Dropbox drive with no issues
  3. Save a new excel spreadsheet into the Dropbox drive with no issues

It is also not a filepath issue, since I have been using the exact same excel name for the past 3 years. I already tried reinstalling dropbox to resolve the issue. Although, I will note that saving other excel files into Dropbox does seem slower than usual this past week. Has there been any updates from Dropbox or MS Office that may have created a compability issue in the last week?

Any help? Thanks

13 Replies

Re: I can't save a large excel file in Dropbox

Super User II

Just to be clear, there is no Dropbox "drive." The Dropbox folder on your computer is a regular folder like any other on your computer. It exists on your local drive and takes up space. You're not saving directly to Dropbox online, but to a regular folder on your comptuer. The only difference between it and any other folder is that the Dropbox app is registered to receive notifications of any changes that take place in the folder.

You're running Excel on your local computer, correct? You're not referring to the Office Online feature that you'll see when opening an Excel or Word file from the Dropbox website? I ask because there are file size limits (imposed by Microsoft) when working with Office Online.

Explorer | Level 3

Yes, I am running Excel on my local computer.

Yes, I understand it's not a Dropbox "drive," but a local folder synced to Dropbox. That's what makes the problem even weirder.

Explorer | Level 3

I'm having the same problem, how was it solved?

Dropboxer

Hey @PavelIvanov. Sorry to hear you are having trouble saving your files. 

Can you edit and save the file on Dropbox.com? If you disable the Dropbox app on your desktop, can you save your Excel file to your desktop? 

How deep is this file in your Dropbox structure? thinking face

books Notes: 

• Some applications—such as Microsoft Excel—have shorter limits (218 characters).
  • Windows counts the file path as part of the name. For example, Windows counts the below file name as 142 characters:

C:\Users\Panda\My Documents\Dropbox\Creative Nonfiction\My Autobiography\Favorite Things\Favorite Foods\Bamboo\Family Recipes\Fresh Leaves.doc

Let me know what you find! 

Fiona
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Explorer | Level 3

i reinstalled the desktop application just in case. 

Then i tried to open the file online, and got the following:This file is too big to preview

Dropboxer

Thanks for trying to preview online. Is the file indeed to large to be previewed online? Please check the size limits listed in our Help Center

If you disable (quit) the Dropbox application on your desktop, can the Excel file be saved then?

Where is this file located in your account ( add the path if it is not a problem) ? Is this the only file you are facing this issue with? 

Looking forward to additional info to help. tools

Fiona

White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.

Explorer | Level 3

The file is 63mb, and the veiw limit is 40mb for excel files. Is it too big? I see the veiw limit is 40mb for Excel files.

When i open dropbox, then the file, then exit dropbox and try to save, it asks for save location and I'm able to save

All the large files are a problem. There is no problem with the small ones.

The file path is Dropbox\Разни\Джанти\Джанти.xls

Dropboxer

Thank you for checking. Please post a screenshot of the errors you are receiving locally and online, for other users to add their experience to the thread, if they are getting the same errors. 

To further assist with this, I would like to reach out to you, to the address associated with your Community profile. Would that be OK with you? 

Fiona

Explorer | Level 3

Hello,

Windows is in cyrilic, i'm not sure if this will help

Error.PNG

No problem to continue this via e-mail

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I can't save a large excel file in Dropbox
13 Replies
1 Like
Solved! : See solution
Dropbox Design Research
Do you use Dropbox Paper?

If so, we're starting a design feedback group and we'd love for you to be a part of it. We have paid feedback opportunities - both in person and remotely - for English speaking users based in the US.

Interested? Take the short survey to let us know.

Take the survey
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post