cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Delete, edit, and organize

Solve issues with deleting, editing, and organizing files and folders in your Dropbox account with support from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I can't see either my videos or photos in Dropbox

I can't see either my videos or photos in Dropbox

Sistersouth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi i am a foster carer have uploaded videos of a child about to go to adoption and none of them will now play on my computer.  I checked my mobile and they play on there - these are very valuable and I need to delete them from my phone for storage but am frightened now they won't play.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I’m positive that you’re doing your best Debbie, though sometimes tweaking settings a bit may do the trick. Let’s check a couple of things together below & we’ll take it from there!

#1. If you’re having an issue previewing your .mov file on your account online, then trying the same action through a different browser or in an incognito window may be helpful. Also, please keep in mind that our website has a 18 GB limits for video previews

#2. Following, just in case you’ve synced the file to your desktop or Mac & it doesn’t open when you double-click on it, maybe you’re experiencing an underlying syncing issue. Can you please make sure that you’re running the latest Stable Dropbox version on your desktop (55.4.171), you’ve made all OS updates & it’s syncing correctly :arrows_counterclockwise: on your system tray as below: 

system-tray.png

menu-bar.png

Once you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon, you’ll see the syncing status (eg. Up-To-Date, Indexing &c). If there’s a message there, can you tell me what it reads? 

Please let me know how you're getting on with these steps, I'll be awaiting your next reply here! 

Jane
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so please give it a Like below. 
:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.
:arrows_counterclockwise: Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Hey Sistersouth, thanks for posting us on the matter on our Community, I’d happily discuss the variables that may apply in a bit more detail below! 

For starters, are you unable to preview your videos on your account online or view them on your desktop once downloaded? 

Following, I’d appreciate it if you could tell me of the file extension & the filesize.  

Are you getting any error messages by any chance? I’d appreciate a screenshot (omitting personal info) of what you’re seeing in your next message here, so as to get a better idea of what’s happening.

Of course, once I have this info, I’ll make sure to get back in touch with you in more detail on our discussion here. Thanks again & I hope you have a wonderful rest of your day ahead until we talk again!

Jane
dropbox.com/support

:white_check_mark: Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Best Answer' button to help others find it.

Sistersouth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,  extension is .mov don;#'t know size of file as details seems to be missing.  I just went and checked another folders photos and I can't open any photos or videos?  I normally just double click - am I being stupid here?  

Debbie

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
I’m positive that you’re doing your best Debbie, though sometimes tweaking settings a bit may do the trick. Let’s check a couple of things together below & we’ll take it from there!

#1. If you’re having an issue previewing your .mov file on your account online, then trying the same action through a different browser or in an incognito window may be helpful. Also, please keep in mind that our website has a 18 GB limits for video previews

#2. Following, just in case you’ve synced the file to your desktop or Mac & it doesn’t open when you double-click on it, maybe you’re experiencing an underlying syncing issue. Can you please make sure that you’re running the latest Stable Dropbox version on your desktop (55.4.171), you’ve made all OS updates & it’s syncing correctly :arrows_counterclockwise: on your system tray as below: 

system-tray.png

menu-bar.png

Once you hover your mouse over the Dropbox icon, you’ll see the syncing status (eg. Up-To-Date, Indexing &c). If there’s a message there, can you tell me what it reads? 

Please let me know how you're getting on with these steps, I'll be awaiting your next reply here! 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Sistersouth
New member | Level 2
Go to solution

Hi,  No error messages just will not open ANY photo or video? Your other questions are above my pay grade! Have had drop box for years no idea why it suddenly won't work!

Jane
Dropbox Staff
Go to solution
Thanks a lot for clarifying Sistersouth!

If it’s not too much trouble for you, can you please let me know what you see on the top of your screen right now? 

Is it our website (i.e. if you’re seeing this online, on the top of your screen you should have a line that reads something like: https://www.dropbox.com/h). 

Are you working on your File Explorer on your desktop or Mac by any chance? If so, then you should see a folder on the top-left hand corner (Windows) under that there should be a ribbon that should read something like “DebbiePc>Dropbox>MyFolder”. If you’re on a Mac, then you should have the Finder panel on your left hand & you’ll be able to see something that reads “DebbieLocal/Dropbox/MyFolder” on top of your window. 

Also, can you see any of these icons :arrows_counterclockwise::white_check_mark: incidentally? 

Jane
dropbox.com/support

Need more support?
Who's talking

Top contributors to this post

Jane Dropbox Staff
    Sistersouth New member | Level 2
What do Dropbox user levels mean?