cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Want to learn some quick and useful tips to make your day easier? Check out how Calvin uses Replay to get feedback from other teams at Dropbox here.

Create, upload, and share

Find help to solve issues with creating, uploading, and sharing files and folders in Dropbox. Get support and advice from the Dropbox Community.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: Using dropbox as backup

I'd like utilize Dropbox as a backup however I have some syncing-specific questions.

diyya
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

Hello,  

My goal was to use dropbox to backup the stuff on my computer, but need more clarification on how the syncing works. I'll list my questions below: 

1. Can I upload a folder from my computer to dropbox,  and then delete the folder from my computer without it also be deleted from dropbox? My goal is to use dropbox as a backup. 

2. If folders are syncing between my computer and dropbox, and my laptop were to crash, would I lose all of the content in dropbox? 

3. Is it possible to save content from my computer on dropbox without syncing, and still have it be visible on the dropbox on my computer? 

Thanks in advance!

10 Replies 10

virtualowl
Explorer | Level 4
Go to solution

https://www.arqbackup.com/

I've got local backups as well, one using Time Machine for versioning needs, and one using Carbon Copy Cloner for bootable backups for complete failure situations.

In such a case, does anyone foresee any negatives to using Dropbox with Arq for backups?  Arq allows for selective backup of folders and files and backups up changes hourly.  It keeps seperate hourly backups for a week, weekly backups for a month, and monthly backups for a year. Since those historical backups don't change then Dropbox has no reason to delete or change them if something goes wrong on the machine and the current backup gets currupted.  As a bonus, Arq encrypts on my computer before transmitting. It's also got full restore features.

Does anyone smarter than me know any reason I shouldn't do this?

I need a cloud backup solution and a sync solution. I can't really afford both. Spider Oak One did all of it for me, but they recently had a massive failure with my sync folder, and then the app crashed. Now they're having connection issues with millions of people not being able to connect.  I'm happy to have had local backups and will not be re-subscribing after years with them.

This thread is closed due to inactivity. Please feel free to create a new topic here. 
Need more support?