Announcements
Known issues updated. Learn more

yes

Highlighted

I don't understand why my HD is filling up!

Level 2

I discovered smart sync yesterday and went ahead and selected the folders that I wanted to NOT HAVE ON MY HD but after syncing now for 10 hours or so, my HD has MORE data not LESS!
So I've tried to find the page where I initially selected the folders to attempt to work out why this is happening and I can't even do that!!
Where do I edit the folders to sync or not sync? 
Why is my HD filling up when it is supposed to doing the opposite?
Where are your tutorials for dumb people like me?
It is so incredibly frustrating to NOT be a nerd!
HELP! Please!

3 Replies

Re: I don't understand why my HD is filling up!

Dropboxer
Hey @sallymb, I’ll do my best in helping out as much as I can, so let’s see what we can find. 

Initially, could you please clarify if you’re referring to Smart Sync or selective sync

If you are referring to selective sync, you can find the settings by:
2. Selecting the gear icon. 
3. Clicking on Preferences...
4. Going to the Sync tab.

Could you also send me a screenshot (without personal info) of what you see when you click on the Dropbox icon and one more illustrating what you mean when you mention:

@sallymb wrote:

Why is my HD filling up when it is supposed to doing the opposite?

Any additional info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

PS. You can attach a screenshot from one of the following options:Attach image.png

Attach image.png

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Level 2

Thank you so much for your prompt reply! I am so grateful for your support!!

I am using smart sync (what is the difference between the two? I can't even tell!)

Smart sync is supposed to remove data from my HD and be online only though after selecting the files to be "online only" and syncing for many hours it appears that my HD now has less space than it had before I started to sync. So I have paused it before my computor fails and now don't know what to do. 

I have attached screenshots of 1. what I see when I click on the Dropbox icon and 2. my smart sync setting page. You will see where I have selected the files to be "online only" which is meant to free up all that space?Screenshot 2019-03-21 06.pngScreenshot 2019-03-21 07.png

Dropboxer
Thanks for the screenshots, @sallymb! They definitely help in providing a better understanding (although I removed some personal information included in them). 

Selective sync and Smart Sync are both features to save space on hard drive. In essence:
  • Selective sync removes folders locally by unsyncing them.
  • Smart Sync reduces the amount of space a file can take up by setting to online-only. 
You can find more info about selective sync here and smart sync here

As per your concern, in order to further investigate this, I’ve sent you an email to the email address associated with your Forum profile, due to account-specific info that’ll be required. 

Please check your inbox for my latest message and we’ll take it from there. Cheers!

Lusil
Community Moderator @ Dropbox
https://dropbox.com/support

Heart Did this post help you? If so, please give it a Like below. 
White check mark Did this post fix your issue/answer your question? If so please press the 'Accept as Solution' button to help others find it.
Arrows Counter Clock Still stuck? Ask me a question! (
Questions asked in the community will likely receive an answer within 4 hours!)

Syncing and uploads

Have a question? Our Dropbox Community is here to help!

Post your question or search for an answer below.

Learn more about using the Community by reading our Community Guidelines.

Hi anonymous,

If you need more help you can log a ticket with our Support Team here (expected response time 24 hours), or contact us on Twitter or Facebook.

For more info on available support options, see this article.

If you found the answer to your question, please 'like' the post to say thanks to the user!

I don't understand why my HD is filling up!
3 Replies
0 Likes
Solved! : See solution
Who's talking
Top contributors to this post